Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting ready to install my first mobile radio...  (Read 366 times)
KE7PHS

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:34:48 AM »

So I picked up a Yeaseu FT-7800R and am itching to try it out. I'll be getting 8# wire to run from the battery to inside the cab of my truck, a Dodge Ram 3500.

I have a few days to mull over where to mount the radio and if I want to mount it and the head in the same location. I'm not in a big hurry to make my mind up on that - I'm trying to find a place that is safe and convenient. I'm also trying to decide if I want to make a home-brew face mount. We'll see.

I'm trying to figure out how and what to do with an antenna.

I drive a truck and have a canopy on the back for half of the year and for the other half, it's off and I have my 5th wheel behind me most weekends and holidays.

Those things said, I'm looking for recommendations on antennas that will be most suitable for my current setup needs and creative mounting ideas. Since the truck ends up in garages quite a bit, wherein there is not a significant amount of clearance, I'm concerned with longer whip antennas from the roof. I've seen the mounts like Geo Tool mounts, and I like what I see, but with the canopy on the truck, it seems to not be a good option. I could work something that used the bed-rail pocket, but jutted out on either the driver or passenger side, but would still likely need the antenna higher than the top of the truck if I am understanding all that I'm reading (I admit, I'm suffering from information overload). While I have a magmount that I use when mobiling from my handheld, I see that as more of a temporary solution than permanent fix and would love any ideas yall might have to offer.

Thanks in advance & 73's,

KE7PHS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: