Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '05 Wrangler Questions  (Read 386 times)
KC9IMT

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2007, 08:13:06 PM »

Hey everyone...

I'm considering getting myself an '05 Wrangler, but I'm concerned about all of the RF problems I keep hearing about.  Right now, I have an FT-857D using an ATAS-100.  Things in my car are good - I'm using the noise blanker (I know it's not the best solution) to get rid of what little popping noise I have, and my setup right now works great.

I'm wondering a few things...  (Alan, I really hope you'll chime in)...

1.  For those who own Wranglers, specifically a "TJ", how bad is the noise really?  Is it as bad as everyone says?

2.  What solutions have you implemented to help?  How much is really involved?

Any other information would be helpful.

Thanks and 73,
--
-Chris
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:23:19 AM »

It doesn't make much difference what the vehicle is. Given enough time you can cure just about any RFI problem. It just depends on how much work you're willing to put into it. The Wrangler is a body on frame, so you'll have to do a lot of bonding.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KI6FUJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »

I have a 2000 TJ with a FT-8900 installed.  I haven't had a real problem with noise, there is very little in my Jeep.  You might check out http://www.rubiconownersforum. com (requires registration).  There is a large group of ham operators on that board and http://4x4s-on-the.net/forum .  The last forum just opened but has a great ham member base, most of which own Jeeps.
KC2RGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:47:05 AM »

I've got one and it's pretty noisy.

Bonding the tail-pipe to the body helped quite a bit.  I ran a ground strap from the rear-most muffler hanger on the frame to a pipe clamp on the tail pipe itself.

I haven't had the motivation to really get under the hood so I have a fair amount of noise from various sources under there.

Good news, at least for mine, is that my fuel pump doesn't seem to be my trouble.  It's also not noise on the electrical feed, it's only an issue through the antenna.

The noise level for me goes through the roof when it is wet outside.  Either morning dew or rain will make things really noisy and negate anything but comms with S7+ stations if the engine is running.

For the 857 I put the body under the driver's seat and mounted the head in the change tray on the top of the dash using an outlet box cover plate that I just bent in a vise for the right angle and screwed the Yaesu mounting plate to that.  

I used a ghetto solution of wall anchors through the dash to screw down the outlet box plate.  I'd rather use pop rivets but didn't have a gun handy at the time.

Here's a few pics of what I did

http://www.kingsqueak.org/photos/yaesu_857_jeep/

I wouldn't do the Larsen on that mount again, the ground isn't very good for it even though I've strapped it.  That antenna wasn't the best choice for a mount like that.  It works, but from what my analyzer tells me, it's far from optimum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: