Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rude customer service at high sierra ANT?  (Read 521 times)
KENNETH

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »

I have heard a few bad experiences from customers who received rude customer service when they dealt with High sierra. One review on eham here mentioned the same thing. Anyone know if this company is know for this? or is it just the few instances bound to happen with such a successful product? Thanks in advance.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »

From time to time, you hear this about all amateur radio suppliers. I don't believe High Sierra is any better or any worse than the rest.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »

Having dealt with Jim Heath at High Sierra several times, on the phone, via email and in person,  over the past few years, i would venture to say anyone that had a problem with their customer service went to them with a chip on their shoulder or very unrealistic expectations on solving whatever problem that person had.

Of the three big motorized antenna makers, they make the best product  as far as I am concerned, although Alan thinks Hi-Q is better. Smiley

I have learned al long time ago not to take disgruntled customer rants on eHam seriously.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W6LG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »

Interestingly, the name of the ham that wrote the review is the same as yours.  In any case, without question, it is not a true accounting of what happened.  As you might imagine, there is much more to the story.  The customer was not happy with the controller that he ordered and received with his antenna.  So, when he called to say he did not like the controller, we sent a different one to him at no charge that very same day.  We paid for the UPS shipping and controller.  He agreed at that time, to mail back the original, more expensive controller to our office the same day.  In other words, we would swap with him.  Weeks went by and we never got the original controller. An email was sent asking for the return of the original controller.  It had a value of $110 retail.  Weeks went by and it finally arrived.  We found that there had been modifications to the controller by the customer. Despite that, we immediately processed a full refund on the original more expensive controller.  We did not charge a restocking fee, shipping, repair fee or anything.  He got a complete refund.  The original controller cannot be sold to a customer because it is now used and modified.  

We did everything we could to keep him happy.  That obviously did not work.  His comment about the phone call is not at all accurate.  I answered the phone and spoke with him.  We do have a sales number and we do have other numbers for tech support at a different location.  I told him that tech support was another number and I gave him the number. I also told him that the number was in the instruction book in case he lost his note.

Keep in mind that we sell a few thousand antennas each year.  Somewhere in that mix of customers, someone is not going to be happy no matter how hard we try.  We do our best to keep that from happening.  

With respect to our tripod, I have no idea.  He never mentioned it.  In his last email he said thank you.  The review on eham was indeed a surprise and disappointing.    

If you have any questions, please email from our website using the contact us form.  Someone will get back to you.  We have over 20,000 antennas in use around the world.  We feel very fortunate that our company has grown so much since our start in 1993. If you need assistance from me, please do email.  You'll find an email address for me at QRZ.com.  

Thanks for reading my response.  

73, Jim Heath W6LG, President
High Sierra Antennas/Heath Tech Inc.      
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »

Jim:

Thank you for "the rest of the story".

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W6LG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:38:40 PM »

PS Paul Harvey's sound man is one of our customers. "And now you know the rrrrrrrrest of the story."  Mr. Harvey is an icon!

73, Jim Heath W6LG
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:43:54 AM »

There is yet another side to this story.

For what ever reason, a lot of radio operators (they're not all amateurs) log on to eham.net with out giving any valid information about themselves. Fewer yet post any e-mail address. It is as if they live in a void, or are trying to.

While anonymity has its rewards, speaking your piece while standing behind a facade isn't productive, and the only shadow it casts is upon the etna.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WM2P

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »

I dealt with Jim (under a previous call) and he not only helped me solve my RFI problem but sent sent me some accessories for free when I mentioned that I made a mistake and should have ordered something else which was more suitable to my needs. Jim was always helpful and polite and would not think twice about sending me something extra in my package when I ordered some accessories from him just because I had mentioned that I would like to try it.

As for myself, High Sierra's controllers did not fit my needs so I bought mine elsewhere at a substantially higher cost. No reflection on High Sierra since they do not make a fully automatic controller. I also bought another accessory elsewhere. The point is that I am not defending High Sierra because I am a High Sierra groupie, but rather because my experieces with Jim have been good even when I discussed mating his competitors products with his. I am a big supporer of his SideKick though and some of my best DX contacts were made with it. My first 10 over signal report was with that little Sidekick and 100 watts from my car. I had to wait to get an amp for my rig in my shack before I heard those words using my base antenna. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: