Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile laptop solutions?  (Read 320 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:55:23 AM »

I'd like to use my laptop in my SUV for PSK31 and GPS navigation.  I could sit it precariously on the center console or purchase one of those insanely expensive laptop mounts, but has anyone come up with a homebrew solution?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:17:34 AM »

You might look at:

http://www.ram-mount.com/hamradio.htm
http://www.havis.com/consolidator_consoles/consoles.html
http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp

Some of the lessor known companies make reasonable priced mounts for laptops. Folks like Gamber-Johnson cater to the PDs, etc., and they are NOT cheap!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:18:28 PM »

FWIW, Public safety agencies around this neck of the woods who don't want to (or can't) pay the Gamber-Johnson prices have reported good results with the Jotto-desk that Alan mentioned.

Terry, WØFM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »

hi tom,

keep a watch on ebay for the ram or GJ mounts,
they turn up used a lot.

you could use a laptop computer case and place it on the seat,
with the passenger seatbelt threaded through the case handle and the buckle it up.  
I do this with my 2m/440 mobile, ts-50 and ts-60 when I want to go mobile.
I take the case and radio with me and never leave it in the car.

73 james

NH7L

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:11:55 PM »

Jotto desks are a great solution. The one I use in my small pickup for parked mobile HF operation cost about $150 new, but I bought it used from a friend for less. Mount is bolted to the floor on the passenger side and is about two inches tall, so it doesn't get in the way when the desk is not mounted on it.

When the truck's life is over, I'll keep the Jotto for my next vehicle. It's very well built and probably will last forever. It's very adjustable and can be positioned in an infinite number of ways.

Because of housing restrictions, I can operate only in my parked truck. Having a laptop desk has made it possible for me to do digital modes.

When doing SSB phone, sometimes I bring the laptop for access to DX clusters and callsign lookups. That requires having an Internet connection in a parked vehicle, which depends on what's available in your area and how much you want to spend. It's worth looking into, because in many areas, it may be cheaper and easier to do than you might think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: