Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Side Kick BUT NO 20 Meters  (Read 418 times)
G0TZZ

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »

Hi been using a Hi Sierra side kick for some time now never managed to get it to tune on 20m band. Tried several earths no diference at all, tried several different whip lengths no change there either. running out of ideas any help would be appreciated this is spoiling my fun I want 20 meters. It is a mobile set up on the roof bar of my car, earthed to a seat belt bolt. Can use every band except 20 meters why?? I sure don't know.  Using it with Kenwood TS480SAT.
W6LG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »

Hi,

The installation instructions are very specific about the importance of the ground (earth) strap.  It specifies a length not to exceed about 3 feet.  And, it should be flat and wide.  

If the antenna is mounted to a roof rack of some type and from there to a seat bolt, then the ground strap could be longer than it should be for the antenna to tune properly.  Also, if you have used a thin round wire, then the antenna is not grounded properly.  Both of those items are discussed in detail in the instructions.      

I see you posted a 2/5 for the Sidekick on the review section.  That's very unfair if you have not contacted us for help or followed the instruction manual.  I ask that you remove the review until we have had an opportunity to help you with the installation.  An email to the company would have gotten a response.  A resonable thing to do would have been to ask for help first before the review.  

73, Jim W6LG        
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »

Jim is 100% right, I have email him and even called
and he has been very nice helping me out. I own both
a Sidekick and HS-1800 and bout work great.
The Sidekick even does 160 meters with a added 102"
wipe.

Tom - N5DXL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:22:48 AM »

One very great misunderstanding is the difference between ground and ground plane!

If the antenna is incorrectly mounted, whether or not the mount is DC grounded, strapped, whatever, it won't work correctly.

Read this:http://www.eham.net/articles/18092

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: