Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu VX-6 and FRS  (Read 1296 times)
KI6HJL

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2007, 08:04:55 AM »

Hi, I am a new ham with a new Yaesu VX-6.  I see that I can set my radio to receive the 14 FRS frequencies that are being broadcasts by my nephew's little FRS radios.

I don't appear to be able to broadcast to them with my radio.  Is this a legal limitation, meaning that my radio by law can't do this?  or is it technically and legally possible to broadcast on the FRS frequencies with the VX-6.  It sure would be convenient.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:07:38 AM »

"NO"

The FCC requires you to use type certified radios for FRS. The power is resticted to .5 Watt.

73, de Lindy
KI6HJL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »

That's what I kind of thought.  Oh well.  

Now back to figuring out how to use the radio.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:19:35 AM »

If you wanted to only carry 1 radio, then I would suggest getting a commercial UHF or VHF/UHF (available?) HT and programming in the frequencies you use on the ham band.  In addition, you can use (I believe) program in the FRS frequencies shared by the GMRS service.  I think there are 7 FRS frequencies usable.  

You must possess a valid GMRS license in addition to your ham license to use those FRS/GMRS frequencies.

If a dual band (VHF/UHF) type accepted commercial HT exists, you could probably also program in the 5 MURS frequencies in the VHF band.  Of course, power would need to be restricted to 2 watts for MURS.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 01:53:03 PM »

<< If you wanted to only carry 1 radio, then I would suggest getting a commercial UHF or VHF/UHF (available?) HT and programming in the frequencies you use on the ham band. In addition, you can use (I believe) program in the FRS frequencies shared by the GMRS service. I think there are 7 FRS frequencies usable. >>

The problem with this is FRS is restricted to 500mW with a non-removable antenna. Additionally radios for FRS have to be type-certified for that service. Most aren't. Using commercial radios on FRS is not really a good idea.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:44:30 AM »

I'm fairly certain that you can operate 5 watts on the shared FRS/GMRS frequencies.

Please check out

http://ba-marc.org/writeups/gmrs-frs-freq.htm
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 03:59:38 PM »

You are correct.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: