Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hit a deer  (Read 1344 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 09:39:55 PM »

Well, seeing as according to last months QST mag. the screwdriver antenna is about as effective as holding coax and peeing on an electric fence. (or maybe they either tested the wrong screwdriver or just don't like screwdriver antennas) what difference does it make. The tarheel is going to perform poorly no matter what I do.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 09:44:16 PM »

The QST article is full of crap. They compared a short motorized antenna against the others. And they didn't both to run the test on an antenna range, so the results are suspect, at best.

There's already been a thread on this subject here. I suggest that you read it.

A _full_size_ motorized antenna will outperform everything else available.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:44:23 PM »

I just looked at the numbers on the HMC-6S at the comet website. 0dbi gain on 10/15/20Meters? Why even include that band?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »

<<  I can not find any other place to mount this type of antenna except for the trailer hitch. Alan says this not the ideal place to mount it but no other options are avaiable on an SUV.>>

Sir, I suggest you haven't looked very hard at the installation photos on Alan's web site. There are a lot of installations there that do not involve putting the antenna mount into the hitch receiver; mine is just one.

Mine is mounted to a 2" steel tube welded to the transverse member of the hitch platform and is off the left rear. Higher would be better, but I have no problem working all over the East and Southeast on MARS nets either side of 40m and 80m with 100w into my HS 1800Pro. And 67 countries and 41 states, including Hawaii and Alaska, on 20m isn't too shabby, either.

FWIW, the antenna you are looking at is a waste of money. It's a poor performer, is cheaply built and won't survive more than a couple of hits against low hanging tree limbs or drive-through overheads.

Forgive me for picking on you, but does your wife make the car payments? If not, then why does she control what you do to the vehicle? <g>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 09:59:10 PM »

<< The tarheel is going to perform poorly no matter what I do.>>

Put it back on the front. It should perform rather well there, presuming a proper installation, which you seem to have had. That location is almost standard for HF antennas used by the UN and other agencies around the world.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »

I just don't want to have to loose the antenna when another deer jumps out in front of me again. It cost me around $1200 to just repair my truck. Don't want to add another $500 for the tarheel. I might though. I am going to do away with the tarheel mounting bracket and use PVC pipe as a means to hold the antenna and mount the PVC to the swivel mount on the bumper. I am trying to come up with a mount that will attach directly to the frame beam.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 12:17:06 PM »

<< I am going to do away with the tarheel mounting bracket and use PVC pipe as a means to hold the antenna and mount the PVC to the swivel mount on the bumper.>>

To what end? PVC isn't strong enough to take the stress and wind load. That's why mounts are made of metal, either steel or structural aluminum,  in the first place.

But do what you want. You generally ignore or argue with the advice given to you anyway.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »

Instead of the MO1 holding the antenna it will be housed in a length of PVC pipe 2.5" id and about 8" long. There will be a cap on the bottom with a 3/8" hole in the cap for the coax jack and a cap on the top with a 2" hole cut in the cap and 4 notches to accommodate the allen screws.  The pipe will be mounted to the swivel mount and the swivel mount will be mounted to the bumper or frame or whatever I decide to mount it to. I will first buy several pieces of aluminum tube to serve as extension tubes (one for the tube and the rest as extras) to bring the coil above the hood and engine of the truck as before. The extension tube I found out will serve as a sacrificial piece as well as a means to gain height to improve gain. Photos will be on my website when finished.
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 09:01:22 PM »

<Mine is mounted to a 2" steel tube welded to the transverse member of the hitch platform and is off the left rear. Higher would be better, but I have no problem working all over the East and Southeast on MARS nets either side of 40m and 80m with 100w into my HS 1800Pro. And 67 countries and 41 states, including Hawaii and Alaska, on 20m isn't too shabby, either.>

Yes I have studied all the photos on Alans site, yours included. As I stated before, I wanted to mount the HS1800 from the hitch coming out on the left side of my SUV. Taking Alans advise, he says this not ideal either. So either Alan is wrong on his advise about this configuration or pehaps yours does just fine. I dont know what to believe or trust but one thing is for certain, one way or another I'll get back on HF even if i have to use a 102" whip with a tuner!!!!!!
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 08:37:24 AM »

I know that both mounting locations and total height are important to you - I was wondering if you could mount the antenna on the side of your cab or the back of your cab so that the top of the whip was as close to the legal limit as possible, maybe a few inches higher?  At low speed, no damage will result, at high speed it will be flexed back enough to clear, likely.

"Perfection is the enemy of the good".  I figure if I spend my time in pursuit of that last 10% to the exclusion of operating, then I'm missing out on the real fun.

I was also going to suggest that if you can find some way to mount a counterpoise of some sort if you decide to go mirror mounted, you might get better results.  I used one of those cheap, worthless Japanese VHF/UHF quad-band antennas and in order to get a match, needed to install 6 and 10 meter counterpoises on the roof rack where I mounted the antenna [no hole roof rack mount].  Matches, talks just fine.

To quote Quai-Gong "There's always a bigger fish".
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 01:51:56 PM »

<< As I stated before, I wanted to mount the HS1800 from the hitch coming out on the left side of my SUV. Taking Alans advise, he says this not ideal either. So either Alan is wrong on his advise about this configuration or pehaps yours does just fine.>>

I missed that you were wanting to mount it on the side. Sorry.

While Alan is correct about it not being an ideal location, like the problems with mounting big antennas on big rigs, sometimes we settle for less than ideal. If it were physically possible to put the antenna in the middle of the vehicle's roof, I would do it in a heartbeat, but it isn't so I settle for second best. Incidentally, the vast majority of successful _full_size_ motorized antenna installations are in the same location.

I know folks who mount the little ones on roof racks and in the middle of trunk decks and so forth, but what they gain in the increased ground plane is more than offset by the poorer performance of the smaller antennas.

Virtually every HF antenna installation, mobile or home, is a compromise in one fashion or another. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 12:30:45 AM »

W3LK, you said it exactly. Sometimes we truck drivers have to settle on second best and the reason that I made the comment at the beginning of this thread about it being a worn out line is that K0BG just doesn't understand that. I REALLY don't want to hit another deer and if I do I don't want to have to go through having my antenna damaged again. I have seen 2 meter paperclip antennas with ground plane radials but I am guessing that the groundplane radials for a screwdriver that goes up to 160 meters would be huge but I am looking into counterpoise solutions that would improve gain more than not having any.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 08:33:38 AM »

I just had a crazy idea. I am going to make a new thread on the subject so it won't be hidden in a thread. My idea is this;
I know that when I use my J-Pole for 2 meters the gain is way higher than my paper clip antenna. Could a person design a screwdriver j-pole? has this ever been attempted? I can't find anything on the internet about it.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »

Shawn, I think the J-pole screwdriver has to be one of the dumber ideas I have read in a long time. Smiley

Yes, Alan does get the realities of mobile antenna installations AND the compromises that are often necessary. Whet he's trying to get across is an understanding of what is necessary for the best performance. That this is not always possible he admits, if you read his web site thoroughly.

If I were in your situation, I would do one of three things:

(1) put the Tarheel back on the front of the rig with an extension long enough to get the coil ABOVE the nose of the tractor.

(2) bolt the mount to the left or right fender of the cab, with the coil ABOVE the hood. (there's a photo of such an installation on the High Sierra web page for their 1800Pro (http://www.hamcq.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2) There are two photos of my installation there, as well.

(3) forget operating mobile unless you are wiling to do either (1) or (2) and concentrate on your driving. Smiley

Either of the three will reduce your frustration level considerably and either (1) or (2) will get you on the air with a decent signal. NO practical installation is going to turn you into a pileup-busting powerhouse station. but you will be on the air, you will make contacts and you will have a good time if you just RELAX and enjoy the experience.

I put your deer-hitting fears (I think you said this was the first time) in the same category as those who don't want anyone to know they have a radio in the vehicle for fear of getting it stolen. I pay insurance to cover my radios and antennas and don't fret what may or may not ever happen. In 40 years of having radios in my vehicles, I have yet to have any radio or antenna stolen, and I have driven all over the South, Southeast and up and down the Atlantic coast. I don't drive the number of miles you do, but I managed about 30k a year - until I retired three months ago. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »

Great advise Lon. I live in Placerville Ca. just bout 45 minutes from S. Lake Tahoe and we have lotsa deer here. I see them dead on the side of highway 50 all the time, and sometimes you can not even make out that it was a deer. Anyhow, what I did to avoid hitting one myself is I bought these niffty lil items at Wally World (I forget what they are called Sad....)that adhere to your bumper. While driving down the highway they make a high pitch sound that is only audible to animals. They have saved many a deer that have been tempted to cross my path. I see them and they run and jump the other way. Perhaps Shawn may want to try these niffty lil items on his rig as an extra precautionary measue.  All the logging trucks up here have em in their rigs!!!!  Just a sugestion!!!

73's
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: