Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverter suggestions?  (Read 495 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:13:43 AM »

Can anyone suggest a DC to AC inverter that is low in EMI? I have a Flex-5000 rig that needs a laptop to function.

I would like to use the rig and laptop for VHF hilltopping.

he laptop is an HP Pavilion zv6000 that requires 18.5v 6.5A. The connector to the laptop has a strange 5 pin connector.

Zack
N8FNR
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 04:24:09 AM »

BTW, I am not trying to get 18.5v 6.5A. Just looking for 120VAC to power the PS that puts out 18.5v 6.5A for the laptop.

Zack
N8FNR
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »

For the most part, cheap inverters are noisy. While you might not hear it on 2 meters, driving by any truck stop listening to any HF frequency will give you an indication of how bad they really are. High quality, well-filtered ones, aren't cheap, which adds some insult to injury.

While this isn't the answer you're looking for, I believe I'd take a different approach. Either I'd buy a laptop that could be powered directly from the vehicle, or build a charge pump to boost the 13.8 up to the 18.5 or what ever.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:20:47 PM »

Is there no "mobile power cord" option for the laptop?  If there is (and most laptops offer this as an accessory), just use that and a 12V gel-cell...
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:28:31 PM »

In my experience, most mobile laptop 12V DC power adapters represent the worst of the worst in terms of RFI on the HF bands.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 04:25:40 PM »

I did some searching and found a 12 cell battery 6600mAh battery supposed to have twice the capacity of the stock one. Might just buy 2 of these and bring the original stock battery. That should give me about 5-6 hours operating time. Even though it is an expensive solution at least it would keep RFI down.

Zack
N8FNR
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 04:51:22 PM »

hi zack,

I agree, buy the genuine HP aircraft/auto battery
adapter.  most of the knock offs are poor quality.

take a look at ebay, the genuine adapters (I have an IBM) turn up often,
they get misplaced when the laptops are turned back at end of lease.

73 james
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:16:03 PM »

OR, don't go with the miniscule DC to AC inverter and instead pick up a good quality mosfet/igfet design with near sine wave output and good filtering.  

A nice 500W unit or so, might come in handy for powering other things sometimes, too.  

KO4MI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »

I agree with the assessment of the DC-DC converters for laptops. They are a nightmare.

Look at the pure sine wave inverters sold for marine applications. I can't see any change in noise floor when I turn my Mastervolt inverter on. Xantrex is reported to make a good product also. It's for boats though, so won't be cheap. Check out Defender or Jack Rabbit Marine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: