Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Installation for a 2003 Nissan Altima  (Read 665 times)
AB8VE

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »

Hello,
     I was recently in a front end car crash that damaged my car to the point beyond repair.  I was forced to junk the car and I bought a 2003 Nissan Altima.  Well, as I'm sure many of you can attest to, when you but a new car it takes forever to get around to getting that mobile rig back in there.  Now I've owned the car for about 4 months and I'm really beginning to miss having it in the car.  I went to install it the other day, and found that there is no where for me to run the wiring through to the battery on the Altima.  On my old car, there was a nice firewall plug with a rubber stopper that I was able to run right through.  On the Altima, all the wiring comes through way up behind the dashboard all through one big hole that is sealed.  I really don't want to drill into the new car.  Does anyone else have any other suggestions on how to get my radio hooked up?  I don't want to run through a cigarrette lighter.  Been there done that.

73's

Dan
AB8VE
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 04:58:24 AM »

You said it was a 2003? The easiest way is to use an NMO hole saw to drill the hole. The have a shoulder on them that keeps the drill from going to far. Nonetheless, make sure what's on the other side. The best place is above the dead pedal area as high as you can.

Radio Shack and Home Disappointment both sell grommets made to fit a 3/4 inch hole. They leave a 1/2 inch hole, which is easily sealed with a little body putty (dumdum).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 07:20:53 AM »

<< when you but a new car it takes forever to get around to getting that mobile rig back in there.>>

Not me! I usually give it overnight to let the new 'wear off' and then install radios and antennas the next day. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »

I picked up my Ridgeline at about 1:00 pm, and by nightfall the radio and power were installed. I finished the antenna mounting the next morning. I spend nearly as much time installed the various bonding straps and split beads.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB8VE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »

>>>>>The easiest way is to use an NMO hole saw to drill the hole.<<<<<

Where does one acquire said NMO hole saw, and is it called that, or does it go by another name/dimension?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:32:47 PM »

Look towards the bottom of the page: http://www.wpsantennas.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=194&gclid=CJDywZz435ACFQIUPAod7TBdWg

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: