Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Factory NAV interface  (Read 347 times)
W6DTW

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:06:36 AM »

Just ran across this and thought it might be useful.  

Found a webpage tonight of a company (Coastal ETech in Florida) which makes a set of products called "Lockpicks" that apparently allow you to bypass factory restrictions and gain access to the "hidden" features of your car's factory AV system and NAV display.  

http://www.coastaletech.com/

In my reading of the site I focused mostly on the Toyota section since that's what I drive.  It looks like it would be feasible use this to allow input of the audio from my rig into the Toyota's AV system.  I've been told that some people are attaching small (7" or so) external displays to the Icom IC-7000...if I had one (which I don't) could I put the 7000's screen onto the Toyota's NAV display?  

Interested to know if anyone's tried this; what was your experience working with Coastal ETech; etc.

Disclaimers: I don't work for this company, and I've never used their products.  I have no idea if they really work, or if this is all just vaporware.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:19:59 AM »

Yes you can, but you need an adapter to do it correctly. Here is a place to go: http://www.tvandnav2go.com

It does only the video. And yes, you can do the audio too, but most likely you'll be disappointed. I say this, because the stereo produces EVERYTHING, and one thing you don't need it the high frequency noise we all have to put up with. I have an article on my web site about this; Audio Filtering.

The TVandNAV2go unit is half the price ($240) of the competition, and works just as well as the highest priced one ($495). However, the manual is junk. If you end up buying one for your Toyota, and you cannot get it to work, e-mail me and I'll tell you what needs to be done. My address is in my profile, and on my web page as well.

By the way, you cannot hook into the navi directly. The Icom video output is NTSC, and the navi requires RGB, with sinc on green or horizontal refresh as the case maybe.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: