Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: roof rail mounting  (Read 421 times)
G7SQW

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »

Hello,
Just looking for a bit of advice on mounting an antenna on my new vauxhall Zafira.
Drilling a hole in my families new car is not an option and a magmount which will mark the paint runs a close second.
I wonder if it would be a good idea to mount them using one of these rail mounts I have seen advertised.

At the present time I am using a selection of Pro-Am HF whips and a 2m 5/8 wave for 6m operation.

Would I need to attach a suitable ground or do you think the roof rail will be sufficient.
Many thanks
Andy
G7SQW
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:11:41 AM »

Considering the HF antenna you have chosen, you probably won't notice any difference in performance, no matter how you mount it. You might go to my web site's Photo Gallery and look arounf. It might give you a few ideas. Look under Other Installs.

As for 6 meters, if you're planning on using SSB, you might want to look at a M2 Squalo rather than a vertical. Even then, it'll be several years before 6 meters starts to open regularly.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 03:15:21 PM »

Of a more practical nature...

I too have issues with drilling holes in cars.  I use a rail mounted 4-band [10-6-2-70cm] antenna for the FT-8900 FM rig in my Subaru wagon.  The roof rack is not adequately grounded, as best I can tell from trying to tune the antenna.  Since the attachment screws for the roof rack to the roof cannot be accessed, I ended up installing two braid counterpoises for the 10 and 6 meter bands which I zip-tied to the rack [talk about aesthetics - contrasting color ties!] and that seems to work OK, at least on 6 meters.  The antenna is a real decent performer on 2 and 70 as well.

Previously, I had no problems with a dual band 2 meter/70 cm antenna which was listed as needing no ground plane.

I know nothing about the antenna you have selected, so I cannot comment on it at all, but the type of mounting you describe is far from uncommon.  Is it perfect?  No.  Nothing is.

For me, the car is transportation and radio an adjunct to travel, as such, I prefer a simple system.  If I were building a vehicle as a rover station, my thinking would be different.

Do let us know how you get on.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 03:45:09 PM »

Eric, I just have to ask; when you say the roof rack is not adequately grounded, are you speaking of DC ground, or RF ground?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com
k0bg@plateautel.net

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »

Alan, I'm just a no-code general, I don't know about such things.  I know that my MFJ-269 gave it a thumbs down until I installed the above noted counterpoise, then I at least got 6 to work properly.

In truth, my mounting system may be at fault - I have drilled no holes [buck up, man!], but simply grounding the antenna's base to the nearest ground point did not cure the problem.

G8XDD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »

Hi Andy, I have successfully used a Moonraker multiband hf antenna on a Zafira, using a magmount, BUT I had to use an earthing lead between the antenna base and car chassis (clipped it around tailgate hinge!)SWR came in fine!

Have you found a good route for DC power through the bulkhead? I am still using cigar socket, but would like to hard wire to battery
Regards - Dave - G8XDD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: