Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20m RFI in a saab  (Read 305 times)
KB3MTV

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »

I recently bought a 1999 Saab 9-5 and a 20 meter hamstick. I got everything running great, but when I transmit with the engine running, the car just shuts off! I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I could possible do to prevent this. When it happened, I was running 50watts on a Yaesu FT-897D

Thanks

DE,
KB3MTV
WI7B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »

KB3MTV,

All post-1995 cars have a number of on-board computer modules, more or less susceptible to high power RF energy.  Ususally the figure given by US manufacturer is anything >100W HF.

The ARRL website's quote from SAAB is unhelpful...

"All Saab vehicle designs have been EMC tested. Individual questions about frequency and power can be answered by their Customer Assistance Center. All inquiries and problems are handled on an individual basis. They have no record of any EMC problems with Saab cars. The installation of after market accessories will not void the vehicle warranty, but if the installed equipment causes any damage, that damage will not be covered under warranty."

Guess you better contact Saab.  But until then, don't run mobile.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »

It's a 95 percent probability that your 20m HamStick is not properly installed. A properly installed rig and antenna will seldom put RF into the onboard computers. I have run 100w HF rigs in several vehicles with no such problem.

I suggest you take a look at www.k0bg.com and read the section on installing antennas before you do anything else.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KA1YBS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:13:42 PM »

This might be a bit late, but your RFI problem might be affecting your fuel pump. I have a 1996 900S and I used a badly mounted, badly installed 20m hamstick, and my car kept struggling while idling every time I hit the TX.

Of course, I had my old TS-430S on the passenger seat, too LOL! The next day, I had trouble starting the car... It took about 20 tries to get the fuel moving again, lesson learned.

I went to Alan's site, asked him some questions, bought a new Icom mobile rig, wired it up properly, drilled a hole in the car and properly (save the insulator, and capacitance issues on 40m) installed an antenna, and now, I can use 20m with 100w and my car starts every time now hi hi!

Tim
KA1YBS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: