Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using bed of truck with an obstacle?  (Read 409 times)
NZ4Z

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:06:17 AM »

As you have seen, I'm struggling to install a HI-Q 5/160. Alan has told me, as others the best place is OVER the vehicle, not on a stand-off. Now, I have a 2007 GMC Sierra pck-up, and have a soft roll up bed cover on it. www.nz4z.myqsx.net > about me at top....you will see her there. I have decided to attempt to put up near the back of the cab, in the bed of the truck, and will have to make a hole in the soft cover. How can I again make this weather proof? Maybe on the mount put a plate with a thick rubber piece top go uneder, then the same above to sandwich wih pressure? I'm just not sure. Also, how high does the coil need to be above the cab roof? I also have the 1 ft extension, and cp hat, then I must worry about total height.... not to exceed the 13'6 I believe it is. Boy oh Boy....... Confused.

Thanks for any suggestions

Steve
NZ4Z
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »

The rule of thumb is as free and clear as possible. I don't think I'd mount it right next to the back of the cab, but that's your choice.

Any good trim shop worth their weight can make a seal for the antenna. Just remember these things: no matter the material used, if it gets wet, and you decide to transmit, it will effect the SWR; it may arc over; doubtful, but it might catch fire; and probably a few other things if I think about it.

I originally planned to mount my HiQ on the outside of the truck, similar to the way I installed it on my Acura. I still might do that, but I do a lot of playing around, and the thought of removing the front and left side bed panels made me rethink the mounting scenario.

In your case, you might want to use the outside of the bed, but I don't know if it is a slab side or step side, and that makes a difference.

There are some 300 photos of other installs in my Photo Gallery (which is now working correctly), and surely one of those will give you some ideas.

The first question you'd best ask yourself, are you willing to drill holes?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »

<<<<The first question you'd best ask yourself, are you willing to drill holes? >>>>

Hehehe I thought that you were going to suggest his first question be: Do I feel lucky today? hehehe

Dan S
KO1D
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »

can you drill a hole in the bed rail, or on the bumper  with a mount, or even make a plate to go under  ( like a trailer hitch sort of) the car and put a mont on the left rear, or even a trailer hitch mount with an extender??  any ideas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: