Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: plastic cups and amateur radio  (Read 444 times)
ZR6RBJ

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:17:04 AM »

I had a GPS bracket for the car lying around. I attatched a piece of ruler across the "clip section". this allowed me to slide my hand held on and off the bracket using the belt clip. I then crafted a piece of s/s for the suction mount of the gps holder to stick to and the other side was bolted to a plastic cup. the cup is put upside down into the cup holder of my car for a tight fit. This worked out really well and was easy to do...

73 for South Africa

ZR6 RBJ
Rory

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:11:04 AM »

The only problem with attachment methods like this one, is what happens when there is a crash. The handheld will go flying about the cabin with predictable results.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

ZR6RBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:01:10 AM »

Hey Alan

You are right of course Smiley But thanks for bursting my bubble Wink. Perhaps fastening the GPS with a bolt, as well as securing into the cup holder with a velcro strap. I have a strap which will keep yhe Hand held in place.

Your website is fantastic by the way, spent over an hour browsing earlier.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Rory

ZR6 RBJ
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »

That IS a pretty neat looking easy mount for the HT.  Alan is correct, of course, in the safety issue,  but my opinion is that unless you actually rolled the car,  the HT 'probably' wouldn't fly up high enough to hit you in the head..... .   the risk is yours....

Only comment I would add to your installation is you ought to put a smaller adapter or actual SMA connector on the antenna coax.....  all that adapter mass promotes torque on the Ht's SMA connector and increases the likely hood of damage to the HT's antenna jack, should you hit the mass of metal of the adapters.

73 de Ed   K7AAT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: