Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with Citroen BX Boot (Tailgate) being GRP  (Read 1481 times)
2E0BSS

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »

I have just had to replace my car, the engine exploded, so I've replaced it with a Citroen BX Auto hatchback only issue I'm having is the boot lid is GRP/Composite so the SWR is high (on 2m SWR is 1:7-2:2+ on 70cm it's 2:5+ SWR warning doesn't turn on) How would anyone suggest I bond the antenna and still be able to open the boot lid to its full extent.

I'm experimenting over the weekend with the antenna on a plate of steel bolted between the tow hook and tow bar.  The antenna is a Diamond HVC7CX and the radio is a Yaesu FT857D uk spec.

While I'm here can I have an opinion on a Larry's Screwdriver antenna ? I'm considering it because over here in the uk antenna that cover 160-6m are incredibly rare to such a point I can't find one which cover the bands

Thanks
Charlotte 2E0BSS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 03:44:50 AM »

Charlotte, you might want to look at this one too: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/

It's one of the better made screwdrivers types that covers the whole range. Just remember, covering 160 through 6 meters means at some point there is a compromise, and HF mobile antennas are already a compromise.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

Tried fixing the antenna, via a plate to the tow bar by removing the tow ball and using the exisitng bolt holes. nothing I am not getting a good earth as the SWR is high except for 24-27.500 dipping either side 2m and 70cm are super high full scale SWR HF is also high. Does anyone know if towbars are towballs are coated with something. I have even tried copper wire from the plate under the antenna to the chassis and to the bolts on the tow bar, I know something is wrong as I have no continuety from the tow bar to the chassis bracket used to fix it.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »

Charlotte, it isn't the tow bar per se that's causing you the problem. It is the lack of a decent ground plane under the antenna. if you go to my wen site, there is anew article entitled "Ground Plane Notes". You might want to read it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »

I had a read and unless Ive read it wrong as it's after 12am here it goes on about electrons but doesn't really tell me anything. One this has been said is the RG58 has been soldered back into the SO239 and PL259 without the braided sheild being exposed so the black plastic has been slid in will this make any difference?

I have the antenna mounted on a 4x6 plate bolted onto the tow bar unit grounded with two copper braids attached to the chassis and tow bar unit.

I'm thinking untill I can get a screwdriver antenna I'll put the antenna back on the tailgate with a 1 inch length of copper braid up to each hinge to see if this resolves the SWR problem.  When I get a Screwdriver antenna the fun starts all over again
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 07:26:04 AM »

Charlotte, check your e-mail.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: