Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters SR-400 Cyclone  (Read 3908 times)
W9PN

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:53:06 AM »

I was just given a Hallicrafters SR-400 Cyclone II.  I find internet information on the original SR-400 Cyclone and the SR-400A Cyclone III but I have not found information on the Cyclone II version.  What are the differences between the original Cyclone and the Cyclone II versions?

The rig I have has not been powered up in at least 15 years.  I plan to proceed with extreme caution and go through the PS-500A power supply carefully before applying power.  If anyone has any experience and advise for bringing this rig back to life I would appreciate hearing from you.

The station given to me includes the SR-400A Cyclone II, PS-500A power supply/speaker and the HA-20 external VFO with remote SWR head.

Very 73,
Doug, W9PN
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:30 AM »

Join the Hallicrafters SR-2000 Yahoo group. There are guys up there that know the Cyclone inside-out and can help.

Dale W4OP
K9AXN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »

Hi Doug:
The CycloneII is the best of the SR-400 series.  Hallicrafters built the Cyclone 1 and 2 and Northrop and the Hal guys re-designed the SR-400, result, the SR-400A.  There were five levels of the SR-400 Cyclone.  level six, which was the SR-400 CycloneII, is far in a way superior to the previous five and in many ways the SR-400A.  Run one and two were volatile and when transmitting in CW mode include serious spurs because of the filter configuration.  All SR-400's should be updated to the "F", CycloneII level which will create a radio that you will not part with.  BTW, the "F" level (CycloneII) schematic is available on BAMA.  The SR-400A has a great Final configuration, 6KD6's, good for 275 watts out, very stable, and a balance pot enables non-matched tubes to be used.  The re-design however was problematic.  In their haste to finish the job, some changes were not appropriately tested.  If you view the SR-400 schematic you will find R160, a 15 ohm resistor.  The SR-400A either does not include that resistor or it has been shorted around.  The Northrop gang had no idea why that resistor was there and could not have questioned its purpose.  That mysterious resistor, if shorted around would add 6db of gain to the receiver and enhanced transmit drive.  Careful what you wish for.  It now generated a spur that was out of spec and the S+N/N ratio was not improved, just noise.  There is far in a way too much information to key but I would be happy to speak with you while you restore the radio.  We plan to publish a book, hopefully in December that addresses intimately, the design attributes of the SR-2000 A/B/C, SR-400 Cyclone, SR-400 CycloneII, and SR-400A CycloneIII.  It will include the restoration steps, engineering changes to be made, reasons for changes and interaction, parts sources, and the installation of a notch filter in the SR-2000.  All will be written so just about anyone will be able to restore these radio's to better than original performance.  Kindest regards Jim K9AXN
W9PN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:02:46 AM »

Jim,
Thanks for the information and keep me posted on the book.  Between now and late fall / winter I am enjoying the short Wisconsin summer and not spending much time on the bench.  I do have the original manual for my Cyclone II and have been studying up on the rig.  Between now and fall I plan to procure new capacitors for the power supply and go through that as my first step.  I'll check capacitors and do basic resistance checks prior to powering up the transceiver.  

This was indeed a lucky gift my friend gave me.  I was first licensed in 1971 at age 12 and remember the ads for the rig in some of the handbooks and magazines my Elmer through my way.  Such a rig seemed completely out of reach for me in the day.

Once again, thanks for the e-mail and very 73,
Doug, W9PN
KB5GT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »

I recently got a SR 400, and need all the info I can get. What is the status of the book?
Thanks,
Ed,  KB5GT
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:14:20 AM »

To Jim K9AXN
The expression is "far and away" not "far in a way"

Allen
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:59:29 AM »

FYI,

For all you Hallicrafters Cyclone fans, I found in my stash of manuals a brand new in the pouch original Hallicrafters SR-400 manual.  Its never been opened.
If you know anyone interested in having this jewel contact me via email.  I had a Cyclone and sold it not knowing I had this original manual, never used.

Greg
KG6YV
N4GRF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »

Hey Jim (K9AXN): I found your comments on the Hal SR 400 A very helpful. Did I see a refernce to the Northrop gang? Did NOC buy Hallicrafters? Do you know when?
Many thanks, 73
Tom N4GRF West Palm Beach FLorida
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: