Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross band repeat question  (Read 505 times)
KC9LJO

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:05:13 AM »

I'm considering buying a dual band mobile that cross band repeats. I have been looking, and I find things like V/V and U/U. Is this another way of saying cross band repeat? Could someone please explian this to me? And also feel free to recommend such radios that you like.
Thanks
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:53:47 AM »

V/V and U/U indicates that the radio can receive two signals simultaneously in the same band, either VHF or UHF.  V/U or U/V indicates that the radio can receive two signals simultaneous in different bands.  This does not necessarily mean that the radio can Cross-Band repeat.

If the radio does have this capability, a signal received on the VHF receiver will be retransmitted on the UHF transmitter or vice-versa.  

The problem with ALL cross-band capable radios, that I am aware of, is they DO NOT have the capability to properly identify transmissions as required by FCC regulations.  While the ID on one path can be taken care of by the operator ID'ing, the other path would require hardware to provide a voice or CW ID that these radios do not have.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:18:29 AM »

Dennis is correct about the ID requirement. The problems arise when someone else uses the input frequency not knowing it is being retransmitted on another band. So the question is, are you responsible, and the answer is yes! Have any amateurs been cited by the FCC for improper IDs while using cross band repeat? The answer is yes!

Crossband repeat seems to be the rage for whatever reason. Perhaps it is viewed as a poor man's repeater, which it isn't. It is legal, but you have to follow the rules, and there isn't much leeway.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K8POS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:44:46 AM »

I too was looking at dual band with cross band.
I did find one good reason to have it.  If you had a low output HT (100-500MW) it could be useful in a mobile situation where you were away from the vehicle but still needed the power of the mobile to hit a distant repeater.
My 2 cents.

Bob
KI4DOG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:08:32 AM »

I wouldn't have a radio without it. I use an HT to xband off of my vehicle during storms. No more fear of lightning zapping you through the mic. I also use it when hiking in the mountains as a repeater. I can't hit the repeaters with my HT but my vehicle can. This also gives me the ability to transmit with less power from the HT preserving battery life. I park it on a high point and go. The trick is to use DCS enc/dec to insure only you are keying up the radio. My personal favorite mobiles for this are the Yaesu FT-8800 or 8900
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: