Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '98 Chevy Lumina  (Read 1033 times)
TMTYLER357

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »

I'm looking to install an FT-7800R radio in a 1998 Chevy Lumina 4 door sedan. I was wondering where in the firewall to run the power cable to the battery and if anyone has any warnings I should keep in mind when running the power cable (air bags, other wiring, etc.). I'm aware of some of the obvious things, like stay away from moving parts, and sharp turns or pinches, but it can't hurt to repeat them in your post.

RUNNING THE POWER CABLE THROUGH THE FIREWALL

I was looking for a suggestion or a KNOWN grommet to run the cable through. I CAN NOT drill ANY holes.

Thanks and 73,
Tyler
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:01:52 AM »

You've got two choices. You've already eliminated one for what ever reason. The other is to use an existing factory-wiring grommet, and I wouldn't do that on a bet!

You might be able to use the drain teat on the existing factory-wiring grommet, but it is not large enough for most transceiver wiring. It is certainly not large enough to pass a fuse holder through.

It's a 1998 vehicle, so what's the problem about drilling a hole?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:21:12 AM »

>RE: '98 Chevy Lumina       Reply
by K0BG on July 24, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
It's a 1998 vehicle, so what's the problem about drilling a hole?<

::I was wondering the same thing.  I drill holes in my brand new vehicles when they're less than 24 hours old...a '98 Lumina has a BB value of about $3K and dropping fast, nobody would care if there's a hole in the firewall.

WB2WIK/6

TMTYLER357

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »

The problem with drilling the hole is due to the fact that it is my mother's car and she told me absolutely NO holes anywhere.

So, yes I know I'm limited. Could someone explain why you wouldn't want to use an existing grommet? I assume it has to do with RF on the power leads coupling with the other wiring and possibly causing malfunctions.

Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Tyler
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:15:49 PM »

Auto transmission? Look for the clutch master cylinder hole plug and go thru there.
TMTYLER357

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:57:16 PM »

Okay, Yes it is an automatic and I assume that the plug of which you speak will be in the lower part of the firewall near the floor.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Tyler

PS: now I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I have searched and searched online for nights and haven't found much on this car.

Thanks so much.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »

Go to any custom auto audio shop. They will know where the holes in the firewall are. They'll also run the wiring for you, for a fee.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
TMTYLER357

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »

I thought about that, but as far as I know we don't have any around here.

That is, that I know of. I could easily be wrong, but I'm almost 100% positive that we don't have one around here.

That is why I thought maybe someone else had installed a radio in this car before and could help me by telling me how to run the cable or how they ran theirs.

Thanks,
Tyler
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »

Clutch master cyl (or cable -- does anyone still use cables for clutches?) would probably be sort of high, (higher than the brake & clutch pedals), about the same height as the brake master cyl, but to the car's left. I'm assuming the Lumina was offered w/ a manual (uncommon as they may be).

Look beside the brake power booster under the hood and see what you can find. Look for other unused, plugged holes too.
TMTYLER357

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:13:05 PM »

Okay, I think I will figure it out. I decided to read about other peoples' installations and how they routed their power cables. I think I can find a grommet somewhere in the firewall that will be acceptable.

Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks again and 73,
Tyler
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 08:52:33 AM »

>RE: '98 Chevy Lumina       Reply
by W3LK on July 24, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Go to any custom auto audio shop. They will know where the holes in the firewall are. They'll also run the wiring for you, for a fee.<

::In lieu of a custom auto audio shop, just about "any" auto body repair shop will also know where everything is and will usually provide advise, and even show you, for free.  They tear cars down to the bare metal and rebuild them all the time.

WB2WIK/6

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: