Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Antenna Should I get ?  (Read 380 times)
KD8JDP

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:45:02 PM »

I have just recieved my ham license and am looking for a rig. I'm looking at the 857d but I want to match it with a all in one antenna. What one should I get ? There are so many. I want one that will cover all bands and that is somewhat portiable. Anyone out there have any advise ?
KD8JDP
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:05:53 PM »

Mobile antennas in general do not make good portable antennas. There are a bunch of reasons why, and this isn't the forum for that.

Some of the things to keep in mind are these: length matters. A 12 foot antenna will be at least twice as efficient as an 8 foot one.

Poor mounting (read that as an inadequate ground plane) equates to poor performance. Just a ground rod or a couple of radials might garner you a few contacts, but not nearly what a good radial field will.

Proper matching is important too, as are about 50 other factors.

If you're really planning on using a mobile antenna, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »

<<  I want one that will cover all bands and that is somewhat portiable. >>

There is no such animal. There are HF antennas and VHF/UHF antennas and they both come in several varieties. The combo HF/V/UHF antennas are not good performers on any band.

You need to be a little more specific about your operation preferences.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »

BTW, you need to check the frequencies available to you with a Technician license. Not All HF bands are available to you and some that are, you are limited to CW operation - no voice.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »

W3lk: BTW, you need to check the frequencies available to you with a Technician license. Not All HF bands are available to you and some that are, you are limited to CW operation - no voice.

Oopppsssss.....What do you mean as a Tech he is limited to CW operation only --NO voice.

Ten meters is open to Techs and Tech Plus's for Voice or SSB.  A tech is NOT limited to just CW. On 28.300 - 28.500 is available for Techs on SSB or USB.  I'm a Tech Plus and use Ten meters as often as it is open.

Now Lon your right not all HF bands are available to him on SSB or voice and there are some that he can use for CW but to come out and say that there none available for voice is just not true.

73s

Mike, N0mud
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 05:30:51 AM »

"Not All HF bands are available to you and some that are, you are limited to CW operation - no voice."

"Oopppsssss.....What do you mean as a Tech he is limited to CW operation only --NO voice. "

not what he said at all! He stated, quite clearly, that 1. Not all HF bands are available to Techs
2. Of those that are, SOME will be CW only. That doesnt mean he cant use voice modes on HF, just that on some bands he cant

Martin

N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »

Are you kidding?  Unless you own a truck or have a desire to get strange looks wherever you go put an ATAS-120 on it. I works perfect with that rig, you press one button an viola your perfectly tuned to that band as low as 40 meters.
Is it the most efficient? NO but wont have everyone asking you what you have that big "CB" antenna on your car.

In my opinion it a great compromise between ease of operation and overall performance. Terrible on 40 meters but very nice on 17, 20, 15, 10 and 6. I use separate dualband for the Vhf/Uhf.

http://www.qsl.net/n1gmv/ft100/ft100.html

The ATAS actually looked rather Cool on my MonteCarlo.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: