Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 857D/897D vs 7000  (Read 1104 times)
KV9U

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:30:01 PM »

Has anyone had an ICOM 7000 and later found that they preferred the Yaesu FT-857D/897D?

My wife uses a 7000 for mobile, and we want to try 2 meter SSB between mobile and the home station, and perhaps mobile to mobile.

I do often work digital modes and having a narrower filter may be helpful but probably not that necessary for my use.

From my current perspective, buying another 7000 would include the fact that it has surprisingly good QSK (although of minimal value to me), many selectable DSP filters, we would have the same menu setup between rigs, and the good display for senior eyes.

The disadvantage of the 7000 is the higher cost, higher receive current requirement (emergency battery operation), some say a more complicated menu, but obviously not the same as the ICOM.

So if you have had a 7000 and then switched to the Yaesu 857D or 897D I would appreciate hearing why.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 05:41:19 AM »

I've owned both an 857, and a 7000 (which I'm using now). The 857 is very similar to the Icom IC-706, except the 706 is easier to operate, and does a few things the 857 can't.

Comparing an 857 to a 7000 is really playing unfair. The DSP in the 7000 is IF based, not AF based, and the difference is night and day.

The biggest stumbling block is taking the time to learn the menus. If you can't figure them out, perhaps you should visit here http://www.niftyaccessories.com

I've also used the FT-450 and the TS-480Hx, and still prefer the Icom.

Sales wise, the 857 and 7000 have been neck and neck until this year, and the current ratio is about 1:3 in favor of the Icom. I mention this, because the bigger sellers alway have more after-market accessories available than lessor models.

If you go to Dayton this year, you more than likely can pick up a 7000 for about $1,099 (same as last year).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:57:11 AM »

This is not a fair assesment because I played with the 857 for about 3 hours one day, but after going home I quickly turned on my mobile rig which is a IC-7000 and still liked my IC-7000 over the 857.

Usually I like to place them side by side, but purley based on experience I likie the ic-7000 and guess it's why I own two (2)
IC-7000's. One on the bench for VHF/UHF weak signal work of course after going into the hidden menu and increases recieve sensitivity and one in the mobile.

Hope this helps a little?

73!
Eric
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »

I have an ICOM 7000 and have had a Yeasu FT897D.

The FT897D is bulkier for the sake of being able to install an internal power supply or battery.

The FT897D has a smaller and less informative display.

I disliked the audio a little on the FT897D.

The FT897D needs IF filters; the ICOM 7000 does not.

But - the FT897D is a nice radio for the price.

For the ICOM 7000 that I use in the car, it has great audio and a noise blanker that seems to work better than the noise blanker in the IC-706 et. al.

And of course the ICOM 7000 has IF DSP filtering built in.

My vote goes to the ICOM 7000.  Of course it is also $300 more.  But the additional features are worth it in my opinion.  But consider that when you add two additional IF filters to the FT-897D its getting on par with the ICOM 7000.

Carl - W9PMZ
AG7K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »

I have both the 857d that I run in the Chevy Metro for 2-160 meters and the IC-7000 that I run in the Park Avenue 440-160 meters. The 857D is smaller and less expensive and is not as voltage sensitive as the IC-7000.Performance on tx is about the same between the 2 units but the receive is much more usable on the IC-7000 due to the DSP, software based filters, and Notch filters that actually work. I enjoy both radios but the Icom gets the nod. I would say that the 857d is 2/3 the radio as the IC-7000 at about half the price.

Dennis
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »

The FT-857 does have one big advantage that the IC-7000 never will.

You can buy two 857's for the same price as one 7000.  

I know it's not quite that, but you get my drift.
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »

I was able to get the $1099 Dayton price on the 7000. The dealer sent a 706 MarkIIG but is handling the return and the proper new rig. Since the 897D does not appear to have the deep discounts, by the time you add just a filter, you are approaching the 7000 price.

I wonder if the prices really will increase in the next few weeks as some are claiming?
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »

I have both the 857 (not D) and the IC-7000.  I actually prefer the 857 for mobile use.  Once you spend the few moments assigning dsp filter edges for both ssb and cw for the 857 - i find it simpler to use, it seems to talk better in tough conditions, and the receiver is fine.  It may be the toughest radio i've ever had except for the ft-747 which was a tank.

After surviving 5 years in various cars with various antenna setups - the 857 is my radio of choice.  It's just going to be there when you need and want it to be.  

My Icom 7000 is a wonderful radio and does have a better receiver.  However - in a mobile environment the 857 can be had with both collins cw and ssb filters (or inrad/w4rt substitute) for less than the ft-7000 and I find the filtered 857 to be a great mobile rig.  Everytime I try something else in the car, I quickly replace it with the 857.  It's a very easy to use radio, and it's reliability is up there with any radio ever made.
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »

Haven't you ever walked up to a car owned by a ham and they have like 5 radios stacked in their and some gauwdy antenna. You say to yourself, geeky much?

I find it strange that nobody mentioned the ATAS. The main reason why I went with Yaesu over Icom. It is also the coolest antenna I have ever seen, So cool in fact that they mounted one on the HumVee in the movie Tomb Raider.

Call me indecisive, but it seems no matter what band I start off on I end up moving to another. I like the ability to press a button and in 10-20 seconds without looking I am perfectly tuned for another band. Try that in traffic with an Icom!

No, it does not work as good as a bugcatcher but I had to evaluate looks, compromise and ease of operation. I have the old ATAS100 and can honestly say it looks pretty awesome and is quite adequate on 20 - 6 meters.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ICOM rigs! I also think the Icom is a better rig but not thought out well for mobile operation. For example, have someone with one show you how they use an autopatch. It's not so easy to send DTMF!

Bottom line, for a mobile HF/VHF/UHF rig you don't need that many options. It just adds confusion. You want something easy to operate without taking your eyes off the road.

If your using it in a large SUV or a motorhome then by all means go with the Icom. But for a car for typical use the Yaesu made much more sense to me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: