Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF antenna recommendation for home and mobile  (Read 1394 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 06:11:52 AM »

You're looking for an antenna that will work for both mobile as well as the house?  I'd recommend a High Sierra HS-1800 with an additional mount.  Put one mount on the vehicle, and the other on a short pipe in the lawn, stretching out a couple dozen radials.  The High Sierra can be lifted off and dropped onto another mount without removing any connections.  It uses a cone shaped pin which mate with a cone shaped hole in the antenna to provide a positive connection.  I use the same setup during our monthly trips to our kids houses. Easy to set up, and certainlly better than nothing.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 09:20:15 AM »

Thanks for this info.  I e-mailed High Sierra last week about this and they never contacted me back, so I guess I'll double-check them again.  Anyway you look at it, it sounds like it's gonna be expensive.

Have you seen Scorpion Antennas version? http://www.scorpionantennas.com/
It looks really nice, but REALLY expensive!

Dan'o  :}
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »

Hi Dan,

I just looked at the Scorpio web site.  If your only concern with that antenna is the price, then can I assume you think the looks of that base set up with the Hamstick radials and all is acceptable to the XYL?

If so, then the 4BTV or 5BTV will be a cake-walk.  They are, for the most part, simple 22-24ft aluminum tubes.  Much less visual impact (and less cost) than that Scorpio antenna with tripod, radials, coil, etc.

Just an observation.

Terry, WØFM
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »

Make that ScorpioN.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »

I wasn't thinking about the rotatable dipole, just a verticle, and that would be expensive enough!  I'm also looking at High Sierra, which has a quick release, but even that is a little out of my pricerange at the moment as I just bought a laptop to work digital comm.

I was hoping there was something inexpensive, but it doesn't look like it (Sigh!)
:}
WB5NPW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »

I use a High Sierra Sidekick mounted on a piece of EMT conduit and bonded to the metal gutters of the house i rent (it's stealthy).  It's not the best setup but it does make contacts and I'm happy with it.  It's better than nothing.  Before i had it on the pipe it was mounted/fed against the chain link fence and worked ok there.  Just offering food for thought.  There's ways around an XYL restriction.  Do some research on "Stealth Antennas" at places like ac6v.com or such.

good luck,

..jesse..
WB5NPW
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »

I use an HS-1800 "screwdriver" - on a tripod in backyard with 10 10ft radials( from High Sierra ) - I can also extend and elevate the radials - attaching to the fence etc and get  much louder signal reception.
Then - I can mount it on a receiver hitch with radials too !
OR for mobile operation - go to Alan's site - KOBG
Listen to what Alan and Lon have to say. They are real experts on this subject! The mounting for mobile is key - lots of proper bonding etc
Well I have a real "modest station " - it sure ain't like a 6 element stepir on a 150 ft tower - but I am "restricted " - I still enjoy the hobby quite a lot !
I love the HS-1800 - It is excellent only beaten by HiQ
but may not be very noticable - better than Tarheel.
I don't do mobile operation.
Good Luck and enjoy!
Ira, KE5STP
WA2BEV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »

you might want to try a Atlas100/120 on top of a outbacker tripod. It sits on the ground and works out fairly well. When done, you can take the atlas off the tripod and attach it to your truck. I have used the setup during field day, and it worked very well. I also use this as my emergency setup with a Yaesy ft-857. When you are done. just pack the whole setup and take it into the house.  Jim WA2BEV
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 11:59:42 AM »

OK, now that you have sticker shock with all the expensive compromise antenna solutions, would you be interested in considering a solution involving wire?

-Limited visibility
 -Little or no cost
 -Build it yourself
 -Decent efficiency

None of the mobile antennas can offer all that.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

Are you gonna come to my rescue again Mark?  I'd think you'd be tired of helping me by now (hi hi) and I believe you assisted with me figuring out what to try the first time.

Oh mighty Elmer, lead me into temptation!!! (and "NO" the XYL still won't let me get the BIG antenna (dangit, dangit, dangit).

I have another post going on about my wire, so I'll give you the info.  Yaesu FT-897 with an LDG AT-100 Pro tuner.  Coax from the tuner to the antenna feed where I have an LDG 1:1 Balun.  The balun has a SO-239 connector for the coax and two banana plugs where I have 60' of wire plugged in to both (120' total) of copper wire from an old extension cord.  The wire is laying flat on the roof un a "U" configuration.

Right now I'm looking at changing the coax to ladderline where I'll solder the ladder-line to the wire on the roof, run the ladder-line to a 1:1 balun then a short coax run into the tuner.  Also trying to figure out how to get a stand-off insulator to get the wire off the roof and still not stand out where the XYL would be upset.

Let me know or send me an e-mail and we can figure out something from here.
Dan'o  :}
KF6HHH
N6EY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 06:30:13 AM »

California is a community property state.  

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: