Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ft-857 vs ic 706 MkIIG  (Read 3465 times)
KF6HHH

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »

I have the Yaesu FT-897 and like it for a base.  Am considering getting a mobile and I have heard the FT-857 is just the mobile version of the 897.  I see the FT-857 is several hundered less than the Icom IC 706MkIIG, which seems to have the same basic capabilities.  Other than the 706 having a bigger screen, I was just wondering what the differences might be and if one is recommended over the other?

My primary use would be for mobile EmComm stuff and maybe field day, T-hunts if I get into that, and whatever else I can think of once I have it.  Maybe some off-roading, so if one is stronger than the other.

No fights please, just straight-forward info of the differences that I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Dan'o  :}
KF6HHH
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »

Dan;

Check this link, and see if the comparison there answers your question.

<http://home.cfu.net/~sjs/857vs706.htm>

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:42:11 AM »

I have had both in the mobile. I repaired a 706 MkIIG with the dreaded power cord problem and ran it for two weeks. In my opinion the FT-857D is heads above for mobile operation.

73 de Lindy
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:42:52 AM »

I have had both in the mobile. I repaired a 706 MkIIG with the dreaded power cord problem for a friend and ran it for two weeks. In my opinion the FT-857D is heads above for mobile operation.

73 de Lindy
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:50:58 AM »

The link Mark gave you is a good one, and I agree with most of the assessments there in. I can't add anything to it in any case. However, having owned two IC-706MkIIgs, I'm a little partial to them.

When the IC-7000 came along, I bought one, and have been generally pleased as it answers all of the negatives in the aforementioned piece. It also has some new faults, which may or may not be of concern depending on your type of operation. One of those is the lack of live touch tones from the microphone.

While I know the 7000 costs a lot more than the other two, do yourself a favor and at least play with one at you local dealer. For what ever it is worth, I believe it is the best designed-for-mobile radio current available even with the faults in mind.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KI4EMD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

Like you, I have an 897d that I use for my base station. I just recently purchased an 857d for mobile use. I love it!  In my opinion, if you like your 897d, then you'll also be very happy with an 857d. They are, afterall, exactly the same electronically. All of the menus and other features are identical. Because I owned the 897d, it took me about 1 minute to figure out how to operate the 857d. Yes, the display is small. However, as long as you have 20/20 vision or wear appropriate glasses, you will be able to read the display without issue. Feel free to email me with any specific questions. Just look me up on qrz dot com to find my email address.

Scott
KI4EMD
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  I like the IC706 and 7000, but for my use I just can't justify spending more money for the Icom's.  I have a Yaesu VX7RB too, so I am kind of used to the Yaesu's, so I have no problem with them, and with the Yaesu being the lowest priced of the three mentioned, I think I'll stick with that for now.  

It's just nice to know that there isn't a huge difference between the two.
Dan'o :}
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:03:30 PM »

Scott, I'm going to take exception to your comments about the two models being identical. The truth is, they're not!

I have both owner's and service manuals on both radios, and even a casual glance will turn up lots of differences. In fact, their receiver specs are different enough, that average Joe Ham might be able to tell the difference in side-by-side, subjective tests. Operate them both in a mobile scenario, and the differences stick out like a sore thumb!

While I agree subjective tests are important, lab tests aside, it takes longer than a few days, or even a few weeks in some cases, before some of the specific weaknesses show up.

The long and short of it is, you have to live with a radio for a while, before you discover the drawbacks important to you. Remember too, your drawbacks, and mine, just might be on opposite ends of the stick!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »

While I realize there are probably differences between the radios (FT-897, 857, and IC706MkIIG), I don't believe there is enough to bother me for the limited use I have for them, so the basic statement of they are basically the same works for me and is valid.  Like I said, I don't want to start a war.  There's enough Hams out there who seem to want to argue and that makes us our own worst enemy.

Thanks for the point of view, but I was just asking for a basic difference, not if I want to work something special where one would definitely have more whistles and bells.

73 all
KF6HHH
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 05:28:21 AM »

"Scott, I'm going to take exception to your comments about the two models being identical. The truth is, they're not! "

Alan, you know he's talking about the Yaesu FT-897D vs the FT-857D?

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 05:42:25 AM »

Yes, Dan I do. About the same scenario is happening as we speak about the 7000 vs. the 7200. They are not the same radio by any stretch, even though the features set is nearly identical, the VHF/UHF operation notwithstanding.

I don't argue the point that the differences between the two Yaesu models are slight to the casual observer. However, few people ever sit down and do an A/B test, whether it is similar model(s) and/or brands. If they did, I suspect there wouldn't be so much brand loyalty bias.

Of course, we could carry on the argument ad nauseam...

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AB8ZL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 08:18:46 AM »

After adding the cost of additional filters to the IC-706MkIIg, the IC-7000 ends up being almost the same price and a much better deal considering it has 3 filters for each mode and IF DSP.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »

Chris, you're correct, and I didn't think of that. Good point!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »

Too many "Elmers" can spoil the thread.

Both radio are good. What it boils down to is features vs cost and what meets your needs.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »

Regarding the filters in the IC-7000, what exactly do they do?  Are they just like an EQ where it reduces some of the freq to reduce noise?  I don't have any external filters on the FT-897, just the DSP and ATT and other internal devices that if I remember correctly are filters, but I have never really been able to get them to do much.  Not that I can afford $1500+ for a rarly used mobile HF, but it is nice to know just in case the mobile becomes more than rarely used, or becomes the new base that can be mobiled!
Thanks,
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: