Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1960's ham station in a Cadillac in Massapequa, NY  (Read 630 times)
WA2ROC

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:05:37 AM »

I just thought about this today.  In the early 1960's in Massapequa, Long Island, down by the harbor, lived a very elderly ham that had a collection of early day amateur radio equipment in his quite modern home.  

But he also had a Cadillac Fleetwood that had enough Collins equipment inside the car, including batteries and a generator in the trunk to run a full legal limit on all HF bands.

Anyone else remember this guy?

As I recall, he made his "fortune" by inventing those little hair clip pins that ladies used to hold curls in their hair, looking like flat alligator clips.

WA2ROC

Dick Pettit
WA2ROC
Durham, NC

"All Vintage Heathkit,
All the Time"
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »

That one, I don't know. However, he wasn't (isn't) the only person to run full-legal-limit from a vehicle. I've even done that! But, back in the days of AM, it was somewhat tougher than it is today. In the photo gallery of my web site is an album about old radio, and three photos on a 50s Mercury wagon replete with trailer mounted generator.

To date, the highest powered mobile I know of, has a CW output of just under 6 kW! It's in a modern crossover and uses an Aura Systems unit to generate the 3 phase, at 8,500 watts, to power an Emtron DX4.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:20:48 PM »

Do you think that might have been Arnold Tamchin, W2HCW?

He had a "Cadillac kilowatt" back when I was a kid (mid-60s) and was a wealthy man, although I didn't know the source of that.

May be an SK by now, otherwise he'd probably be 90 or so.

WB2WIK/6
WA2ROC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:22:43 AM »

That name does not sound familiar and his QTH listed her is Setauket.

Were you an old Long Islander?  I am 4th generation Seaford Harbor Water Rat!

WA2ROC

Dick Pettit
WA2ROC
Durham, NC

"All Vintage Heathkit,
All the Time"
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:21:25 AM »

Arnold, if he is still alive, is very old today but was very active 20-30-40 years ago.

He had a penthouse in Setauket with an 80 meter beam (Yagi) on a tower up over the top of the building and had one of the strongest signals on the 75/80m bands anywhere for many years.

But I seem to recall hearing of his "Cadillac kilowatt" a long time ago, and he might have lived in Massapequa back then (I have no idea).

I'm not from "the Island," but am from NJ and had a lot of friends out there.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: