Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter  (Read 826 times)
N3IDG

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:29 PM »

I am looking for suggestions on a vertical 10 meter antenna.I have ruled out the "ham stick" type antennas, the Larson 10 meter is only 53 inches,but may be the best choice.So i am looking for other ideas before purchasing an antenna. Please give me other options. THanks Pat n3idg
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »

Well, why don't you just use a standard 8 foot long whip? If you mount is in the right place, you'll achieve almost 90% efficiency. Of course, you can't use mag mounts, trunk lip mounts, or other temporary mounts.

All this said, you might as well forget 10 meters until about 3 to 5 years from now. Oh yes, there will be an occasional opening, but if you want reliable DX, you'll have to come down a few bands.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB1NCP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »

The 8 ft whip would be best with a ball mount. If 10 meters is all you are trying to work, take a look at the Wilson 1000, or the 5000. I would not recommend the magnet version. You can find these at www.copper.com. Check out the reviews on eham on these. I would also like to warn you about the Hustler coils. They always get water in them, but if you are up to sealing them up, they are cheaper.
Have Fun!
73 Bill
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

Gotta agree with K0BG.

Full quarter wave whip will handle maximum power and give maximum radiation vs. any shorter loaded types.

If you must go with a loaded type, stay with a loaded 1/4 wave to minimize loading losses and use the tallest one you can find.

The Wilson would be near the top of my short list also.

I have had good luck with Larsen NMO mount 10 meter antennas as well.

I've used Larsen mobile antennas for 25 years and never had one let me down.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »

<< You can find these at www.copper.com.>>

I can't believe any self-respecting ham would do business with this company. He is the largest distributor of illegal radios and amps in the country.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

I enjoyed many conversations with a R/S HTX-100 and a trimmed CB s/s whip for years.
EC158

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »

by W3LK on November 19, 2008       
"<< You can find these at www.copper.com.>>

I can't believe any self-respecting ham would do business with this company. He is the largest distributor of illegal radios and amps in the country. "

The Forum cop, at it again.

Give it a rest, Lon.
LOVEHANDLES

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »

Don't call Lon a foreskin cop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: