Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, going with a mobile-advice between these 3?  (Read 803 times)
KF6HHH

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »

I've decided to go ahead and put an inexpensive 2M mobile in my truck instead of trying to do a HT-mobile set-up, so was wondering if anyone had advice between these three or even a suggestion of one I'm not seeing.  I'm still looking for a used radio, but if new is about the same price for what I need, that's fine.  This is going in a Ford Ranger 4X4 primarily used for ARES and other mobile stuff with no heavy off-roading (I hope).

The three I'm looking at, in order of price are:
Yaesu FT-1802M @ 50W
Yaesu FT-2800M @ 65W
Kenwood TM-271A @ 60W and Mil Spec.

The biggest difference I can see is the wattage and the fact the Kenwood may be better able to handle heavy off road use, but I stay on fire roads.

Thanks for any info.
Dan'o  :}
KF6HHH
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:40:32 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't own any of them. I never recommend a radio, no matter the situation. The reason is, my opinion is just that. The best thing to do, is play with them yourself, and decide for yourself. Even if you have to drive 100 miles to do it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:06:09 AM »

I agree with Alan's advice.  There are Ham Radio Outlet stores in Oakland and Sunnyvale.  Well worth the trip to be able to try out all the available mobiles and find the one that is right for you.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:15:11 AM »

The difference between 50w and 65w is insignificant in the real world.

"MIL spec" is primarily a marketing tool. There are so many components to a MIL-spec rating that simply saying something is MIL-spec is useless. Unless the specifics are detailed is simply a marketing ploy.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »

Agree all should be equally durable/rugged.

If you have room for the slightly larger FT-2800 you might take it over the FT-1802, not for the 65W vs. 50W (trivial) but for the heavier heatsink -- especially if you expect to be long winded at higher power. (Is the FT-2800 a bottom speaker? FT-1802 is a top speaker, this may also be a consideration if an external speaker isn't used).

Only possible drawback to the Kenwood is lack of a 5W setting, only 25W & full (60W?) -- if you're operating battery vs. from running vehicle or AC lines, this might be important for battery life.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »

That's what I was thinking at this point.  I found a 2800 for the same price as the 1800 model, and since this would be used for ARES applications I might get long winded.  Most used rigs I've found seem to only be a few bucks cheaper than the new ones, so I'd definitely rather go new than save $20 only to have to spend $80 to repair it cause it was actually busted.
Dan'o  :}
K4VVX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:34:30 PM »

Dan'o,

Just a suggestion.  Find someone with an Icom IC-V8000 and play with it a few minutes. The front firing speaker is a big plus in a mobile environment, especially in a truck. I like mine. 75 watts, 2 meters only. Good luck with your decision.
73,...........Carl.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 10:12:24 AM »

I own two FT2800 radios.  I like them because I can change the programming with my laptop (traveling from state to state).  I do not like the way Kenwood radio's mike buttons are, just a personal thing.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »

Thanks for the info on the 2800.  IF i'm able to afford the whole set-up I will probably go with the 2800 as I found one for a good price and it does seem to fit my needs the best.  I'm sure all are good radios, but for now, the 2800 will have to do.

Dan'o :}
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »

Any reason the Icom 2200 didn't make it to your list?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »

Didn't really notice it until later.  Kind of looking for the least expensive model I can find, and that one was one of the higher priced models.
:}
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »

Dan'o   The Icom v8000 is a nice radio, but it WILL NOT hold up under duress of fire roads. Two of them went south in a Peterbilt mounted on the dash. Save your money, and consider for a few  more bucks buying a Yaesu 7800 dual bander.  They are still available, and a good  little radio.  73  de W5ROY  Roy Creiglow
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »

My personal choice would be the FT-2800. I have one and it is probably the best 2-meter only radio I have ever owned. Built like a rock (mine has survived two accidents {neither my fault BTW}), great TX audio. Cheap enough to buy new.

The only caveat would be use an external speaker-sounds better than the internal one IMHO.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »

A couple points:

1) Go with a dualband rig at a minimum. A DC to Daylight is not a bad option. This let's you grow and experiment.

2) Power is not an issue from 502 to 65w. Effectively you have to double your power to get a half S-Unit or 3db difference in the signal. You have to quadruple your power to get a full S-Unit or 6db difference.

3) Any EMCOM application should consider how much power the rig is going to drain and how portable it is. More power does not always solve what a better/higher antenna will solve depending on the application.

Dan S.
KO1D
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »

Don't need a dual band as I'm in the Sacramento area and we can't use 440 due to PAVEPAWS, also don't want the added expense.  I have a dual band mobile in the shack that I can use during a callout, this is just something a little better than an HT for local stuff.  Everything else is pretty much figured out.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: