Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Isotron mobile?  (Read 391 times)
N3IDG

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »

Has anyone tried using the Isotron antennas in a mobile application?      I only want to here from those that have, I don't care how efficient there aren't and that this or that install will be superior I don't care , I want to know about Isotrons only .       Thanks Pat
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »

Well, you won't get many answers.

There are a few folks who use what would commonly be called base station antennas, but they're usually beams. Once upon a time, you could even buy a gyro-controlled rotor control that kept the beam in the same heading regardless of the direction you were driving.

But an Isotron? I'd bet not, ever!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:19:57 AM »

I've seen them attached to RV's at various hamfests, but I doubt they're used while underway.  If you've ever seen one up close you'd see they're mechanically not suitable for mobile operation.  If it's a poor performing mobile antenna you're after, you can just use a hamstick which is cheaper and offers less wind resistance.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »

I can't imagine why you would want to. In motion, at highway speeds, it wouldn't last more than a few minutes before coming apart.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

I'm trying to imagine the wind noise.

I suppose if you mounted it right behind the cab of a pickup so that it was sheltered from the direct wind blast but then it's not much in the clear.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »

Actually, since efficiency isn't a factor you could mount it in the bed or camper shell of a truck, or trunk of a car and the wind load is no longer an issue.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »

GAWD!!   Now that was funny!!!!

Dan
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 04:47:42 AM »

I love the idea! Let me know how it works if you try it. I HATE the big multi-band HF mobile antennas. I use only Larsen bottom load coil type luggage rack mounted. About 4' tall. They are on fold-over mounts. Manual type.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: