Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you using as a mobile antenna and why?  (Read 868 times)
KE6AEE

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »

I am currently using a RadioShack stainless steel whip monuted in the middle of my rear lift up hatch on a Jeep leardo.  It is conntcted to an ICOM AH-4 tuner that goes to my ICOM 706 MK IIG.  I have the rear hatch grounded to the body, and was thinking of grounding the doors and the hood.  Sometimes I dont think its too efficient.  Can I do better? Would a Ham
Stick without a tuner be better,  Would something expensive like a  HIQ antenna be better? Or is there something im missing in getting my set up to be more efficient?
What are you using and why?  

Richard
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:25:55 AM »

I use an SGC tuner with a whip. The important thing is to mount the whip as high and as clear of vehicle metal beside the antenna as possible.

A Hamstick will definatly not be an improvement but one of the large screwdriver antennas, properly mounted, will be an improvement on 40M and it'll work pretty well on 75M. As you go higher in frequency there will not be as much improvement.

My SGC/Whip works on 75M. I chose it as a compromise. It is not so obtrusive as a big screwdriver, it performs well on 20M and above, its okay on 40M and it permits me to make some contacts around the state on 75M. I have it mounted on the rear bed rail of a pick up, keeping with the idea to have as much metal as possible UNDER the antenna and a little as possible BESIDE the antenna.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:01:34 AM »

Bob tells it like it is, but there is more to it, and that's HOW you feed to whip. You cannot use coax!

Rather than take time here, go to my web site, and look under Auto Couplers. If you want the scoop on other possibilities, read the Antennas Commercial article.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »

I build my own and use coax to feed it. I also use a LDG100 auto tuner to tune it. Works okay for me. Look at www.antenna-to-go.com  to see how I built it. Email for more info if you have questions.
Frank
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:45:43 PM »

I am using the Hustler MO-4 with resonators for the respective bands along with an impedance transformer to keep the transmitter happy. I like the MO-4 because they work well, they are inexpensive, and they are not an eye sore on the car.
Don't get too concerned about efficency like some of the "experts" do that you will find on this site. There is no HF mobile antenna that will work as well as that resonnat dipole in the back yard.
Find one that meets your needs and budget, install it per the instructions and have fun.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »

Tried the Hustler resonators. Tried the Ham sticks. Tried the Bug Catchers. Tried the steel whip and tuner.

After I used my first (DK3) screwdriver many years ago I wondered why I wasted time on all the other stuff. With a small vehicle now, I have gone to the Little Tarheel II and am very happy.

The Tarheel is mounted as high as possible and makes up for its small size. Everything is bonded as Alan recommends. With the information on his site, even a cave man can do it! (:-)

73 de Lindy
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:54 AM »

High Sierra 1800Pro. Why, IMHO, it's the best constructed motorized antenna on the market with the best support.

Photos of my installation are on Alan's web site.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:11:38 AM »

Little Tarheel II mounted on center of roof with DX Engineering HotRods, capacity hat.  No, I do not use this setup while in motion, that is reserved for a few Hamsticks.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »

If you go with a motorized antenna, unless that is some compelling reason not to, go with the full size version, not the compact one. This applies no matter what brand you are contemplating.

There is a significant difference in efficiency and performance, especially on 40m and 75/80m

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »

You DO NOT want to use a coax feed between the tuner and a 102-inch whip. The feed impedance on the lower frequencies is much too high for coax and it'll result in a very lossy system. An antenna like a screwdriver is tuned internally so that the match at the base is always reasonably close to 50 ohms thus these can be fed with coax okay.
KD5NVC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 03:48:33 AM »

I'm using a Icom 706MKIIG, turbotuner and HIQ 5/80 on a ford F150 and custom mount.  Well bonded, grounded with matching coil at the feed point.  Works very well from 80 to 6 meters.

The only drawback with these is the Lexan coil is prone to small cracks that continue unless you stop them by using a hot needle.

Glenn
kd5nvc
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »

I am using a Lil Tarheel II screwdriver antenna and a DX Engineering HotRodz capacity hat with my FT-100D (only when stationary).  For in-motion operation, I have 6M, 20M and 40M Hamsticks.
N9MSH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »

When i decided to go HF mobile i did a lot of research on different web sites. Basically can down to, what is good enough for me? since i live up in northern wisconsin i didn't want to messy around changing antennas, or worry about seals failing. Since the hiQ brand is the only one on the market for the "screwdriver" types that dosn't change height is was  a pretty easy choice. I ended up going with the 5/160 marine as it is all stainless steel. I don't plan on doing 160 mobile, but it's there if i decided to. The HiQ was a pain to get matched but with a MFJ analyser you can save a lot of time. Remember ground, ground, ground. All i can recomend is allan's (K0BG) and read, then make your decision.
EC158

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »

I am using the Screwdriver Antenna model 3600 mounted on the drivers rear corner of my Ford Ranger p/u. I get a good match across all bands and tuning is a snap with the supplied interface. And they painted it to match the truck for a small fee.

http://www.thescrewdriver.com/

N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »

I use the Workman series of Hamstick clones for 40-10 meters. They're inexpensive, about $15 each, and I get good reports with them.

I may be able to do a little better with a screwdriver but I'm not quite ready to spend $400 on an antenna that can be easily stolen or vandalized.

On the downside, changing antennas can be a pain so I don't change bands often. I recently checked out the Outbacker Perth but the asking price is obscene.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: