Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Issue  (Read 327 times)
N4TDP

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »

Now when I key the mike my A/C compressor kicks off. You know the push button you use to activate the A/C compressor. I push it in run the A/C and when the motor is not running at full speed the light and compressor kicks off. Now when I am running 70 mph and key the mike it does not seem to do it. It has been recommended that I ground the radio unit itself to a proper ground on the vehicle. I am not sure how to do that. I have also been told to ground my mag mount antenna, I don't know how to do that either. I have also been told to ground the battery to the frame better. Please help. Any one in the Orlando area feel like helping a fellow ham out!! Some one also told me to route the power lines away from the fire wall and take them out around the front of the engine bay instead? Any other thoughts?

Troy
KJ4CBB
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »

Troy, the reason you're having the problems is simply this.

It is very common for mag mounted antennas to have common mode current flowing on the coax cable. If you go to my web site and read this article, you'll get a better understanding : http://www.k0bg.com/gpnotes.com

The long and short of it is, there is RF inside the vehicle because the coax cable is acting a a ground plane for the antenna.  You could also have a bad coax connection either at the antenna or the PL259 connected to the coax.

My e-mail address is on my web site's front page. Send me an e-mail with your telephone number, and I'll call you. Or, if you please, I'll give you mine.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: