Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Install a Motorized Maldol Antenna Mount on a Jeep  (Read 1143 times)
KG4OPX

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:34 PM »

I bought a Maldol MK-30H motorized antenna mount before seeing if I could use it. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander and I am having a hard time finding a place where I can install it.  I am wondering If I can install it on my back window that opens up. The lip of the bracket fits over the edge of the glass. The kit came with a metal strip so that the set screws will not dig into the surface. Sounds crazy ?

Regards,
Rob
KG4OPX
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »

Sell the mount and do a proper install.

If you put the mount on the glass itself, plan on replacing the glass the first time something hits the antenna or the mount. Even with the little plate, the set screws will put stress points on the glass - ever watch the demos of the gadget with the sharp point used for breaking out vehicle windows in an emergency?

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

Lip (motorized or not), mag, clamp, and other non-permanent mounts will all give less than stellar performance. Oh, you can get by with about anything including a dummy load. The best place to mount one is on the right cowl. If you just can't bare to drill a hole, then use one of the hood seam mounts made especially for the Jeep.

If you want the best dual band antenna, then that's a Larsen NMO2/70BK. Anything else is less.

There is more than just the antenna to worry about too. Look over my web site for details.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KG4OPX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 03:07:24 PM »

I apprecaite the feedback.

Fantastic web-site Alan.

The two cross members on my roof rack are wide and very strong. I can drills in the center of the front one and install the motorized antenna mount there. I prefer to install an antenna on the roof of my vehicle. I had a mag mount which I hated. I had to fold down the antenna before I pulled into the garage. Sometimes I would forget. Plus they scratch the paint.

If this solution does not work I will take your advice on mounting an antenna in the front.

Regards,
Rob
KG4OPX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: