Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trying to figure out this noise  (Read 642 times)
AI4WX

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:42:10 AM »

i have my yaesu mounted to both batt terminals, i have 2 straps on my exhaust going to the chasis, i have the hood grounded to the fenders, my antenna is on a bracket mounted to the fender, yet i have some noise that i can figure out where its coming from. The noise seems to start up around 10,15 mph going down the road. Sitting idle or with the motor off, no noise. this is on receive. so far everyone says they receive me jsut fine and clear. what am i missing?  it just sounds like static..
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

FM? SSB?

Typically, it is ignition noise, but may be fuel pump, injectors, ABS sensors, rolling static, and even bad brake shoes.

Go to my web site and open the Noise ID article.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AI4WX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 06:34:33 AM »

actually i found out last nite after some trial and error that its coming from the antenna swaying in the wind.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:29:43 AM »

That will do it too. As direct as it may sound, that fact leads me to believe the antenna is mounted on a clip or clamp mount. If that is the case, I'm not surprised.

Remember, proper mounting is essential in keeping ground losses to a minimum.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AI4WX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:21:50 AM »

actually i took an aluminum piece of metal, bent it 90 degrees, and bolted it to the inside of the front left fender where the hood closes. but even if i had mounted it to the body itself, the antenna would still sway...dont see how the mount is a problem.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

What's the antenna?

Just because the mount itself is secure to the body doesn't mean the coax is secure to the connector, the antenna is secure to the connector/mount or the whip is secure to the antenna.

I agree with Alan that something's likely loose.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:20:18 AM »

"i took an aluminum piece of metal, bent it 90 degrees, and bolted it to the inside of the front left fender where the hood closes"

Steel on aluminum may not make a good electrical connection for very long because of electrochemical corrosion due to the  dissimilar metals.

If you get noise from the antenna swaying, I agree with the others that something is probably loose or making intermittent electrical contact.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AI4WX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »

its a larson 2/70 NMO ant. and the best way i can explain the noise is,  it sounds like someone is blowing into the mic a bit. as the antenna whips around, it tends to get noisey on the receive.i checked everything this morning and everything seems tight...
AI4WX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:15:06 AM »

1 thing i have noticed is if i listen to someone as they talk, if i bend the antenna over like it would as i go down the road, the S meter drops anywhere from s9 to s7 or sometimes s5. i am assuming that is normal since you are changing the polarization some.
AI4WX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 07:48:57 AM »

well after trying numerous things, i finally found a cure for it. i installed a ground from the ant mount to the hood, i then installed a ground from the ant mount to the door jam.  now i can go about 80 before picking up any noise. who knew something so little and unseen could have been the answer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: