Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-7800R or FT-8800R?  (Read 980 times)
KI6WLP

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »

I am considering buying either the Yaesu FT-8800R or the FT-7800R as a mobile rig, Does anyone have any recommendations between these two rigs or is there another Yaesu dual band unit that you would recommend?
I already read the reviews here on eHmam.net and they are very close in rating. I would appreciate any additional input about these two units or other Yaesu dual band units

Craig

KI6WLP
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

Depends on what you're going to use them for.

From a technical standpoint, there is so little difference between any of the FM rigs, that one is not significantly better than another. So, it boils down to features and ease of use. If you're into APRS, look at the D710 Kenwood as well.

If it were me, I'd buy an all-band, all-mode radio like the 857 or Icom 7000. I say this, because FM only radios, APRS or not, get real old in a hurry if you do a lot of mobile operation.

Lastly, the one you buy should be the one which fits you, not me, or anyone else.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »

Advantages:
The '8800 can monitor both VFO and bands at once. So you can set one VFO on your favorite frequency, and have the other VFO scanning your bank of memories loaded with any 2m or 70cm freqs.  You can actually listen to both VFO's simutaneously, except the one you're not on is deeply muted when your main VFO is receiving.  The Hyper Memory buttons are nice!  I love them on my FT-8900.  If you're set on Yaesu and only these 2 models, I'd choose the '8800

Disadvantages:
The radio is loaded down with menu options.  Hopping to a new repeater, entering the PL, then setting the tone encode or decode on are all a pain to do,... and impossible while driving. Smiley

Alternatives:
I have a Kenwood TMD-700A as well, and while lacking the functionality of the Yaesu products, the user interface is much more user friendly. Big menus, appear on the soft buttons along the sides of the display.

Summation:
Both have served me well.  The Yaesu has seen nearly 6 years of daily operation from -15F to however hot the dash gets sealed up on a hot summer day, but still runs like a charm...and despite my kvetching, I'd buy another one in a second if it died tomorrow.  Having 4 bands available in that little package is really a lot of fun.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »

Craig,
I do not have a FT-7800, but I own 3 of the FT-8800's and realy like them (obviously). If crossband repeat is important to you, then the FT-8800 is the only choice as the FT-7800 won't do it. Also, the comment about lots of menus is true of the Yaesus. They are not at all intuitive enough to be able to program on the fly without the manual. If you end up with an FT-8800, do yourself a favor and get the ADMS programming software too. If possible, find a local ham(s) who have the rigs you're interested in and see if you can try theirs out.

Good luck.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:07:29 AM »

I own an FT-8800 and like it a lot.  However, the buttons on the radio face are not illuminated.  I'd also spring for the software to program the radio using a laptop because programming the thing (even while parked) is really difficult.  The S/W makes the job 100 times easier!
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:42:12 PM »

I have two FT-8800 and an 8900.  Good solid radios for me.  I do phone operation only.

HF mobile is not really realistic for me, and having both dual VFO's plus the ability to cross-band repeat can be very useful sometimes.

N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 05:13:14 AM »

Ok I give up? why is HF operations unrealistic for you?
N4CDB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »

K3GM wrote:
Disadvantages:
The radio is loaded down with menu options. Hopping to a new repeater, entering the PL, then setting the tone encode or decode on are all a pain to do,... and impossible while driving. Smiley
I have to disagree with this. I find the menu navigation on the 8800 very simple to use while driving. It's not like you have a ton of sub-menus buried that you have to dig through. There are only a small handful of options relative to repeater operation and they're grouped together. ymmv.

As for mobile HF, I too feel it's impractical at this point. My daily commute is only about 30 min each way. I don't think that's long enough to make HF worthwhile. When we take longer trips where it would be a great way to pass the time we rarely take my truck and I can't see paying the price to put HF in my wife's car for it to sit unused 95% of the time.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 02:15:43 PM »

I own a FT-8800R and have operated a 7800 enough to know the difference, and really, there is only one...

With the FT-8800R, you can have one side scanning or monitoring different frequencies while communicating on the other.

The FT7800 will only do one frequency at a time. It will scan, but when you are communicating, one frequency only.

Both rigs are good quality radios for the money, and the more they are used the more you learn the menu system. There is very little I have to open the manual for on my 8800.

de NA4IT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: