Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT2800 m needs "monster" cable?????  (Read 492 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »

A friend checked out my Yaesu FT 2800 M 2 meter mobile radio and said I would need "monster audio type cable" to connect to my battery. Apparently the cable that came with the radio does not work properly or something. Everyone says there is a problem with my signal. I thought maybe the 65 watts was too much, but the signal is bad on all powers. Where can I buy monster audio cable and maybe monster fuses? Why would I need to do this? My car is a 99 Altima with an average battery. Any tips appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »

They're yanking your leg. The power cable which came with the radio is fine. However, if you extend it, that's a different animal, and you'll have to use appropriate wiring. Go to my web site, and look under Wiring. There is a formula and a web based calculator to figure cable loss.

You didn't state what the antenna was, and you didn't state what kind of "bad" signal reports you were getting. To help you with that, I'd need more information.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AG5T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »

Thanks. I've tried several 2-meter mag mounts, pretty much the same style, including one brand new out of the bag. I switched antennas, but always got the same poor report. I think I probably just need help wiring this the right way. I will try to take some pictures and put them on my web site and then will send you the link so you can see how the connections are at present. Right now I have to charge up the camera...............
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »

Marty, if the signal reports you're getting are about alternator whine, I can almost guarantee you it's the mag mount. Because the antenna isn't properly grounded (a grounding strap is not a cure), the probability of a ground loop is very high.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: