Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-415 won't transmit  (Read 1764 times)
KD0GQX

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:16:34 AM »

I bought a Yaesu FT-415 at a hamfest. I stupidly didn't try it out first. The receive works great but every time I push the PTT button the screen says "Err". I've tried simplex, repeaters and everything else I can think of. The locks are not on. I've reset it to factory defaults. I've replace the batteries.

My only other data point is -- when I plug in the external mics, the PTT buttons don't do anything at all on the mics.

I don't know what else to try. I can't make this transmit.

Ideas?

M.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »

Yaesu's typically display "Err" on xmit when you are trying to transmit outside of the ham band.  Make sure you do not have the repeater offset turned on in the "wrong" direction if you're tyring to operate near the band edge.  Program in 146.000 MHz with no offset and see what happens when you xmit.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:08:13 AM »

One other thought...the previous owner may have attempted an out of band mod and created problems by doing so.  Jumper pads on Yaesu HT's are tiny and it's easy to form a solder bridge if you're not careful.  Follow this link to determine the current configuration of the rig and go from there.

http://www.qrz.com/download/mods-e-h/ft415815.txt
KD0GQX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »

If I type in 146.000 and turn off the - or + related to the offset and press the PTT button it still says "Err". I also have all the tone stuff shut off.

I wonder if Err would be displayed if there was a hardware or electronics issue with the transmit function? Is there any other error code or diagnostics I can do? Would it cause problems like this if the little internal battery was bad?

Thanks!
M.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »

I'm not familiar with any "diagnostics" that the user can perform. Not sure about the internal battery causing "err" on transmit.  A dead battery usually just causes the radio to revert to factory defaults (144.000 MHz) everytime you turn it on.  By the way, I have the FT-411E which is the predecessor to the FT-415.  It is nearly 20 yrs old and I've never had to replace the internal battery.

I think the next step, if you feel comfortable working with tiny parts,  would be to split the case and look at the jumper settings per the link in my previous post.  This would also give you an opportunity to check the voltage on the internal lithium battery.  Search the Internet for a service manual before you begin.

One downside is that the FT-415 is not supported by Yaesu any longer.  Independent service shops, if they will touch it, will likely charge more than the radio is worth.  Good luck in whatever you decide.  If you find the problem, please post back.
KD0GQX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »

Yes, thank you. I bet it was moded. I have it open now and am looking around. It could be that just need to program it to function properly if it had been modified. This is a good track to follow, thank you!

M.
KD0GQX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 06:46:17 PM »

Well, I have a few more clues.

1. The frequency range seems to be 100MHz - 147MHz.
2. I can transmit at 147.000MHz. That is the only frequency I am able to transmit at.
3. I opened it up but was confused about what was the jumpers. I found this:

http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/ft-415.txt

So I'm going to go back and take one more look. Like the link you provided they say:

ENTAR THE FOLLOWING BAND LIMITS.

CH. 1    120.000   Press [VFO] Lower Rx
       2    174.000   Press [VFO] Upper Rx
       3    135.000   Press [VFO] Lower Tx
       4    174.000   Press [VFO] Upper Tx

I don't know what they mean about Press [VFO]. When I do that it just switches between the A and B VFO's. I've been trying to program those numbers into the memory channels but I'm not sure that is what they mean?

Thanks!
M.
N4WFB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »

Not sure I can help on this, but mods.dk has this:
-----------------------------------------------------
Close jumpers 3, 5, AND 7 if not already closed, 6 must be open. Let other jumpers unchanged.

Turn on the radio and program it as following:
"1" 135.000 PRESS VFO THIS IS LOWER RX LIMIT
"2" 185.000 PRESS VFO THIS IS UPPER RX LIMIT
"3" 135.000 PRESS VFO THIS IS LOWER TX LIMIT
"4" 185.000 PRESS VFO THIS IS UPPER TX LIMIT

Press and hold MR, VFO and 2 while TURNING ON if you need to reset or reprogram the radio.
-----------------------------------------------------

I saw one other piece of info on another site. They said to hold the up and down arrows while turning on the radio to enable wideband.  My guess is that the jumpers aren't set up right?
WB6YYZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »

I own one of these radios and as originally shipped, they receive and transmit from 144.000 to 148.000.  The mod is simpler than described.  Open the radio by removing the 4 screws holding the battery plate and two screws on the upper back.  Carefully open the radio and you'll find the jumper pads on the front circuit board. Connect a jumper, (which can just be a solder blob) that connects both contacts of pad 3 and the left side of pad 7, viewing the circuit board so that the numbers read correctly. No other pads need to be jumpered. Reassemble the radio.  Turn on the radio while holding the up and down arrow keys (also labeled MHz, or A and B).  This will enable the radio to receive from 130.000 MHz to 174.000 MHz.  Be careful, because the radio will now transmit from 140.000 MHz to 150.000  MHz.

To reset the radio to factory defaults, hold the MR and VFO keys while turning it on.  It is NOT necessary to hold the 2 key.

Note that if the Lithium battery inside the radio is depleted, the radio will always come up to the factory default status and no memory settings will be retained.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: