Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any kind of safety lighting on vehicle?  (Read 4609 times)
KB3SJV

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »

I bought it used, that could be it
KB3SJV

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »

I looked, Its a Diamond SG7500NMO and I measured it, its 40 inches.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 07:00:01 AM »

Don't do this, don't do that, don't do anything! Having previously been involved in law enforcement for 25 years I can assure you that I worked with many that had this attitude and were riding the system to retirement. That's why they have had to hire so many police and firemen and your taxes are so high. Some work at 25% of their ability. They do only what they are required to do, no more. There are exceptions. I hope I was one of them.  

Ham radio is a hobby. The extent that you want to use the hobby to help others is up to you. But, If you are inclined to help others, you need to be prepared with the proper training, first aid and rescue equipment, plus the ability to summon official help. I have the training and the equipment, including a magnetic halogen revolving light and grill mounted halogen lollipop turn signal lamps. They have proven very useful when I have been first on the scene at accidents, removing dangerous debri from the road most cops are too lazy to do that anymore here, they just drive past) and assisting stranded motorists.    

I volunteered for CERT training in my county and found it very good and the local officals very supportive. With the many hurricanes we have had in the recent past, everyone has learned that clearing the roads is key to quick rescue and recovery. If you are out assisting with recovery in storms, the lights are important to warn others of deep flooded streets, downed electric wires and volunteers cutting up and removing tree limbs.

As far as emergency lights causing accidents, I never saw that, but I did hear of officers walking in the street in dark colored uniforms with their backs to oncoming traffic that were hit because the driver saw the emergency vehicle but not the careless cop. I also saw officers park on the other side of a hill crest where their emergency lights could not be seen and stand in the road. I would then park my vehicle at the crest with the emergency lights on and walk to the accident. Being lazy can kill you! It's like Ron White said; "You can't fix stupid"!

As far as drunks hitting your vehicle, that can happen at any time, emergency lights or not! Park as far off the road as possible.

Many of us were Boy Scouts. The "Be Prepared" training I received there has allowed me to save the lives of many and I am not going to stop now, just because I am not being paid. The gratification received from helping others is well worth the time and small financial investment. I recommend it!
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »

"when I have been first on the scene at accidents,"

I've been driving for 45 years and have never been first on the scene of a serious accident. If you've had multiple encounters, you must be looking for them with a police scanner.

If the 25 year "involvement" in law enforcement means former highway patrol officer, or other cop on the street, then you are well qualified and probably equipped to help, rather than hinder, in such emergencies. Most hams with emergency lights and orange vests simply are not.

I only know a couple of cops, but they are certainly not the slacker type, and the many firemen I know are all top notch professionals who do whatever it takes to get the job done. I don't know where so many fire and policemen work at 25% efficiency out of laziness, but it's not around here.

Additionally, an emergency scene with a half dozen vehicles with flashing lights and floods is one thing, but a single vehicle on the roadside with colored lights does attract drivers who are overly tired or otherwise impaired. We unconsciously aim for the focus of our attention, and if we don't force our attention on the less prominent roadway, we tend to drift toward the pretty lights.

Clearing debris after storm damage is probably the number one way to actually provide help if you are not trained medical personnel. It doesn't take a ham license, radio, or flashing lights to help remove unencumbered debris in a roadway. However, if any power lines are down, it's best to stay out of the way of the cops, firemen and utility workers.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »

Your right, you don't know anything, do not have any equipment to work with and are absent of the will to help your fellow man. You should stay home! That way you won't be arrested for being the first on the scene of an accident and not stopping, if it ever happens.

Knowing people in law enforcement and firefighting and working with them for many years is two separate things. Obviously, you will believe anything they tell you without question. You probably voted for Obama!

I don't know why you would be against hams or anyone else volunteering to help others and equipping themselves to do so, unless you are just another grumpy old ham that wants to make an arguement to see it posted. I never turned away volunteers that helped me at accident scenes. Why would you do that? It doesn't make sense. This distrust in the ability of the public to help themselves or others is destroying our country and increasing our taxes.

You don't need a scanner to be the first on the scene at an accident in Florida, with all the retired yankees and foreigners we have driving down here. That's why our insurance rates are so high!

Why would I have a scanner in my truck after listening to a police radio for 25 years? Another stupid comment made without any thought!

Have you taken the CERT or SKY WARN courses yet? They are free. As someone with actual public safety experience and not just unqualified opinion, like yours, I recommend it! I spotted and reported the last tornado touchdown we had here. No one was injured. I am proud of that!
ISSAQUAHWA1979

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »

KI4SDY Thank you for bringing some common sense to the thread but you will find that there are a few here that seem to know everything and any other thought is stupid...  

So I took this printed thread down to the police department for my last meeting as well as asked one of the fire commanders who also attends their thoughts on the opinions including my own.  So both had a very similar response; first being that they are glad that the nay sayers do not live in our town and secondly that if they used that thinking in their departments they would be retrained or given a desk job because it is not reality at least here.

I mean the comment about driving for 45 years and not being the first at an accident HEY GOOF FOR YOU! I have been behind more than I can count I have watched cars go completely air born right in front of me on more than one occasion and that was minus the police scanner!  And if you think that I am going to get out of my vehicle and go walking in the middle of the road without some sort of traffic direction and warning lamps YOUR NUTS!

KI4SDY as I said you and a few others have some common sense and I am glad there are more than just me that are willing to help someone (and yes I am trained to do so) but it seems this forum is not open to that...
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »

Being trained and capable is the point. I see lots of hams jumping into the fray with nothing more than good intentions and an ego.

What I said was that the greatest non-professional assistance in the aftermath of storm damage is clearing debris, and that doesn't take a ham license, just willingness to help and some common sense. I also pointed out how and why a single light on the roadside can be a hazard. Are these things not true?

I know it is a popular position among some hams to assert that radio hobbyists are absolutely crucial to public safety in emergency situations. That distorted bit of PR has given birth to several people that I know of (and there must be others I don't know) who are just technically called hams because they have a callsign and talk on the repeaters. The only reason they picked up the Technician license was so they could start collecting certificates, patches, decals, bumper stickers and emergency lighting for their "disaster vehicles" (personal cars).

Demeaning the fire and police professionals doesn't raise the status of hams.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »

Ok, so when have you "seen unqualified hams jumping into the fray?" Can you give me some disaster dates,  incidents or accidents of of any kind? I never saw that in 25 years. I don't know why your even posting here because you know nothing about the subject.  

As far as demeaning the police or fire officials, I don't have to do that, they do a fine job themselves! The former Police Chief of St. Petersburg, where you live, left for the Dallas Police Chief job and was arrested for Perjury over a shooting incident. Then he returned to St.Pete and got a job with the Police Academy, but had to resign after he was caught having sex with the Academy Secretary, on the desk, I believe. He could have done it at home, but his wife would have gotten mad. Another diligent, hard working, government employee. Again, knowing these people and working with them is two different things.

So, a single light causes drivers to head for them like moths, eh? I guess you had better turn your lights off when driving at night to avoid a collision!
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »

" I don't know why your (sic) even posting here because you know nothing about the subject. "

There would be hardly any content here at all if everyone knew what they were talking about and were in agreement on everything.

You may be very well qualified to be a first responder. I don't know anything about you, even though you seem to know all about me. Many other disaster buffs equipped with their flashing lights and HTs aren't qualified. Since we disagree on the importance of training and professionalism in emergency situations, I obviously don't know anything about the subject, so I'll defer to your wisdom. 73, and stay safe out there.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009, 09:26:41 PM »

You don't know anything about the subject because you never invested the time and effort to take a COP, CERT or SKY WARN course. But why would you? You are not interested in helping others, just critisizing others. I guess that is easier from an armchair!

Why would you think that others who have taken these courses aren't qualified to volunteer their help? The almighty goverment that you worship and delivers your social security check does. That should be enough for you.  

I understand that you have an ancient extra class license and that you live in the retirement area of St. Pete, but your not dead yet! Think of someone besides yourself and don't chastise others who want to help their fellow man.

The next person they rescue could be you, after you get confused and drive through the front of the grocery store. I guess that would be the first time in 45 years of driving that you are the first one at the accident scene, huh?

By the way, what happened to my documentation on these "unqualified hams that were getting into the fray" that I asked for? I can tell you, it was a frabication (lie) to make a point about something you know nothing about, but insist on having an opinion on. What is that about?

I have no problem with opinions from people with experience in the field in question, that know their stuff and don't have a personal and or financial interest in the final conclusion, but you simply don't qualify.
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 05:33:53 AM »

I was starting to feel singled out for the charges made against me by KI4SDY. Since I had been investigated by him, I decided to check out my critic. It seems he might have a pattern of accusing those he disagrees with of "commenting on something they know nothing about." Always having to include an irrelevant reference to Obama as a criticism of others is telling.

In addition to being the only one qualified to speak on certain subjects, I found that some of his wisdom included statements such as CB equipment is made better than ham equipment is. A rather unpleasant fellow in his responses generally, and has been referred to as a troll by other posters in forums.

In his words:

"Obviously, AC7NA didn't read the posts, so he has no idea what was or was not posted. He is just blowing air and appearently is not welcome on the local nets. I wonder why?

I will register as a VEC, but we have them giving free tests here and elsewhere already. If you had read the thread, you would know that, but you didn't. Not too feckless!

The only "nerve" we have here is for an uniformed person to make a comment on something he knows nothing about! Must be a congressman, I guess.

If you don't like the debt, my next question would be, did you vote for Obama?
Posted by KI4SDY on May 3, 2009"

Another example of the high road:

"Yep, AI2IA, your just another flappy-mouthed New York Yankee (now we know the problem) trying to control an opinion poll by continually posting (these two guys are compulsive) his self-centered opinion for personal gain!

So, does that mean your going to send me your financial records showing "you didn't get a penny?" I don't think so, because it is a lie. That's what greed does, induces lying. But then, you probably don't need any encouragement for that, coming from New York.
Posted by KI4SDY on May 3, 2009"

This man knows as much about me as he does New Yorkers. He doesn't know what I've done for a living or how I have contributed to the community since 1963. I'm not here to brag about how many lives I've saved or people I've fed or cars I've pulled from the muddy ditch, but I do want to urge budding disaster buffs to get training, particularly in first aid, and act responsibly by not overstepping the bounds and interfering with the professionals. No, I'm not naming names of bad hams who make fools of themselves with their marginal skills, large egos, vest patches, and tricked out vehicles. Neither will I budge on appreciation of the heroic efforts of our police and fire personnel who are in the trenches daily - even when there isn't a major disaster happening. To paint those professionals who put their lives and safety on the line as so incompetent that the radio hobbyists need to jump in and save the day is unforgivable.

I'm done being troll food.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2009, 05:46:12 AM »

As Mike pointed out earlier, there seems to be all manner of character assassination without any knowledge of the other person's background. I certainly don't know yours. Nonetheless,  John Hay's, K8QV, comments are are in line, and I'll give you a good example.

I attended a council meeting a few years back, when the discussion turned to a proclamation presented by one of the council members with respect to the city recognizing the local ARES group, and their contributions in supporting disaster relief. (Please note: Nothing was said, or mentioned about first responders, as that was not the case or intent). One council member voted against the proclamation. He was ask why. As best as I can remember his words...

"(sic) that's all we need is a bunch of orange-vested nincompoops with their dangling walkie talkies interfering with our police and fire rescue folks. They should be banned, and if the show up anyway, they should be arrested."

His words express the general thoughts of far too many public and elected officials. You have to ask yourself why that is. When you do, please stand in front of a mirror.

"We've seen the enemy, and it is us!"

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2009, 06:56:17 AM »

Ok, KOBG, just one question, was that council member K8QV? He seems to be of the same mindset, maybe they are brothers!

If you two are so embarasssed to be identfied with your fellow hams that are interested in helping others, why don't you turn in your amateur licenses? That would resolve your mental delima and help clear our ranks of the "don't do anything mindset." Over here, our ham club is requested by the local cities to assist with parades, races, fireworks events and yes, even disasters.

As far as K8QV, I would be interested in hearing about all the things he has done to help others and any, any, expertise he has on this subject, or any other!

I also noticed he conveniently left out the degrading things others said to me or about other hams previous to my remarks and that one of those links was also about volunteering. He should try it some time.    
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »

Vern you sure missed the point. I think you should read the latest article here on eham, and figure out which one you are.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2009, 04:38:35 PM »

I used to be with a Mountain SAR team that had some members trained and licensed to run 'code' - red lights and sirens just like the cops.  You had to complete a course with the highway patrol and be licensed to do so.  This was so we could reach avalance sites as quickly as possible.

We have two, two members of our 120 member RACES team with 'light bars'.  One of these Amateurs is never actually on the air, the other is just too silly to talk about.

I figure when the EOC wants me to have light and siren, they will provide a vehicle with them, just like they do for the Sheriffs office.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: