Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT857 seperation kit  (Read 2171 times)
K2ZPF

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:16:55 AM »

I am going to install a 857 in my 2008 CRV. The sep kit has a lot more cable than I need.  Does anyone have information on how to make shorter cables?  Can I cut the cables and replace the plugs at the correct length?  Is there a diagram with pinouts?  Thanks.  Steve
W8NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »

As opposed to making your existing cable shorter, I believe you can use a good quality telephone cable which has RJ11 jacks on each end.  It appears to be wired straight through so all you need to do is just get one that is insulated well.  I'd try that first. You may also want to check the Yahoo FT-857D group and do a search on RJ11.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT-857/
Hope this helps.
Bob, w8nyy
KA1OS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:39:17 AM »

Yes, you can cut the cables. If you're interested in the pinouts, you can Google "FT-857 Service Manual", but given that you already have the cables in hand, it should be simple enough to determine the connections with a DVM. The control head uses a 6-connector plug (RJ12) while the microphone connector is terminated with an 8-pin, RJ45 plug. These are simple to attach with a crimper.

When purchasing the plugs, try to get ones that are appropriate for the type of wire (probably stranded) and cable (round vs. flat).

See also:
http://www.eham.net/forums/Articles/81249

Good luck,
Tim
KA1OS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »

Hmm... Looking deeper it seems that another designation for the 6-pin plug is RJ25. The key is that you want the full set of six connections brought out, not just the 4-pins more commonly found with residential phone plugs. The RJ25s can be found at most Radio Shacks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »

Just remember, there are several modular plug designs, and although they 'look' alike, they're not. Some are designed for flat ribbon cables (like those from Radio Shack), and some for round cables like most CAT 5 wiring. While you might get by using an incorrect plug, if reliability is an issue, get the correct one from Mouser of Digikey.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W8NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:59:29 AM »

Careful.  The RJ25 is physically a larger plug than the RJ11/RJ12 used in the Seapration Kit.  RJ11 can come in a 4 position 2 wire and a 6 position 2 or more wire.  If yo're looking to replace the jack with a shorter version you may want to post on the Yahoo forum I linked.  There's a couple guys there who have made up these cables already and can help.  The RJ25 plug is what they use for the Microphone cable and a standard CAT5 network cable works nicely as a replacement there.  I'm using one with my 857D.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

Be very careful using telephone wires to extend the remote head.

I believe if you *replace* the stock cable with a telephone cable, you'll fry something.  If instead, you buy a telephone cable and a coupler to connect the telephone cable to the stock cable, using the telephone cable as an extension, you'll be fine.

Telephone cables aren't wired the same way as the stock cable, trace out the pins and come to your own conclusions.  You *can* get away with spending just a few dollars to extend the head a short distance but just be careful ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KA1OS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:22:50 AM »

Beware: I've seen couplers that pass the lines straight-through and others that 'invert' the connnection order.

Measure (continuity) twice, splice once.
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »

DO NOT CUT the cables!

Make a large loop with the extra and hide it behind a panel.

EA5FY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »

Hi Stephen

I also want to install an FT-857D into my CRV and would like to exchange information with you (well you could give me some good hints, I am sure)

Can you come in touch with me, please. (ea5fy # ure . es)
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »

I have an FT-857 in my Buick Rondezvous SUV and using the
seperation kit. All I did was coil up the excess wire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: