Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Mobile - Is Cold Storage of the Rig OK?  (Read 413 times)
VE3XKD

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:38:27 AM »

Hi All

I am happily mobiling HF with my Prius (worked Florida on 40 last night), but winter is coming here in Canada e.g. last night was minus 8 C and its going to get really cold in a few months. Since I have my ICOM 7000 radio installed under the passenger seat and it is difficult to take out I was wondering if it is safe to leave it there during the winter when temperatures often go to minus 30 C or will there be damage from the cold/heat cycles if I try to operate HF mobile when the radio is cold?

Does anyone have any experience with rig failure due to extreme cold?
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »

I kind of look at it like this. If it gets cold enough to affect electronics, what of the intensively electronic Prius? I suspect the component most likely to be obviously affected is the TFT/LCD display. It may not start or may display residual ghost images until it warms up or more likely will just be slow to display. Of course, many materials become more brittle in extreme cold. And the possibility of condensation is a given when very cold electronic gear is activated under extreme cold conditions. I think that if I had that setup and it was one of those extreme mornings and I thought it was actually below the spec low temperature, I'd give it some time to warm up with the passenger compartment before I asked it to do anything much. On the other hand, there have been few stories by Hams of failures of that sort in extreme cold, except where battery power was an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: