Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT8900 Antenna Advise Please  (Read 869 times)
KD8LHB

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »

I'm new to the hobby and my frist radio is going to be a FT8900.  I drive a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ.  It has a fiberglass top in the winter and a soft top in the summer.  Don't realy want to drill holes in the hood. Any advise?  Thank you  Doug
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »

You don't need to drill holes in the hood. Several companies make hood seam brackets specifically for the Jeep. They slip under the hood seam in the case of the Jeep. and Dodge trucks.

If you want the best antenna, then that would be a Larsen NMO2/70BK. Unless you knock it off on purpose, it just might out live you.

If you need installation help, go to my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »

I had good success using 2 hood seam brackets on my Dodge Ram in conjunction with the FT-8900.  While I also endorse the Larsen brand, you'll need 3 antennas to accomplish this along with a triplexer at the radio, or just be restricted to listening to either 6 or 10 one band at a time using a proper diplexer.  I wanted all 4 bands available to me so instead, on one fender I used a Diamond CR627B with an NMO adapter at the base for 6m, 2m, and 70cm and Larsen 27NMO for 10m on the other fender. Inside I have a diplexer at the radio to split 10m off onto the second antenna.  I still use this combination today in my Tahoe.  

I would avoid any of the quad band antennas,  They're tall, heavy, and don't work very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: