Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neat Little $10 Mount Pedestal  (Read 428 times)
WB5JEO

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:21:33 AM »

I was poking around for an articulated pedestal for a tricky mobile mounting and saw these on eBay and wanted to pass it along. I hadn't seen them before. I always halfway expect to get crap when it's cheap and not branded, but it was cheap enough I ordered a couple to find out. Actually, they're going to work nicely. Plenty of articulation and configurable to a variety of heights. I had one of those ball, socket and post pedestals, but to get the radio to tuck into where I wanted it, I would have had to use a 90 degree angle piece on top to orient it. This thing will do the job. Locks into position very firmly with hex wrench bolts. Radial serrations on the flats to make it lock up. Base rotates, too. Probably not quite as strong as my ball and post mount, but the ball doesn't really lock up rigid. No name on it, but seems well made. Might have to drill out the holes a little on the triangular head. They're pretty small.

So neat for $10 that I ordered five more. I can see them also in the shack for mounting a meter or whatever where I want it, including being able to mount it on the underside of a shelf to throw the load out in front or behind. For that matter, they might mount under a dash and hold a control head where you want it. Or bolted right on the face of the dash, for those who don't mind doing that. I don't think I'd extend it much longer than what it can be with what comes in the package if the load was much more than a GPS, but I'm pretty sure it's going to hold my TS-50 okay the way I'm going to us it. It's cheap enough that I figure two could be used, one on each side of a mobile mount, as a real versatile hump mount for a  bit heavier radio or one subject to more stress.

Just shared because if it suits what I was looking for, it might suit someone else and it just looks like such a cheap problem solver. Put the item number 170403034818 into the search box on eBay. Use the "see other items" link on the page to see it offered in quantities of five and ten, also.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »

Some wall mount speaker brackets work (and look) about the same. It just takes a little bit of ingenuity to adapt them. Alas, you and I might, but not every one will take the time.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 02:03:34 PM »

I checked with the seller. They are NOS surplus and were originally auto mounts for bag phones, which gives you a pretty good idea how old they are. They bought the whole stock and are selling their way through tens of thousands of units. They're on the web site at the same $10 at http://www.73volts.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: