The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day and freeloaders  (Read 39555 times)
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »

Maybe I should just show up to all these club outings and eat for free, not contribute my time and efforts, and just be cursed behind my back and not worry about it..right?  If a majority of club members were of this mindset what sort of club would you have.  I still stand with my earlier post that a strong club consists of members that contribute something to it.  You don't need the extra hangers on who do nothing and expect to get something out of it.  Most clubs charge a minimum annual dues like $25 and some of these 'takers' think that's enough to eat free and have fun on the backs of 'Doers'.  Clubs collapse because of freeloaders.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:44 AM »

Clubs collapse because of freeloaders.

I am guessing you haven't been a member of too many clubs! Pretty much ALL organizations operate under the 90/10 rule.... 90% of the work is done by 10% of the membership, not just amateur radio clubs. I am a member of a very old worldwide fraternal organization that has been in existence (in its present form) for nearly 300 years and that is exactly the way things work with them as well.

Clubs collapse because they don't give the membership a reason to keep coming back. No one wants to come to "business meetings", at least not for very long anyway. I was president of an amateur radio club back in the mid-90s. I tried to have a program that would (hopefully) be of interest to the membership regardless of their license class. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, but at least I tried. A couple of years after my term in office (2 years) was over, all the new president wanted to do was have the club do "public service" events like providing communications for road rallies, marathons and stuff like that. While this interested some members (mostly the Technicians who are limited to VHF/UHF), there was nothing to keep most of us "OFs" coming back.

Sure, I could have offered to do some general interest programs, but the president at the time just didn't seem interested in anything but his agenda. I could only do so much for the club!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:21:46 PM by N0IU » Logged
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »

My antique radio club holds 3 swap meets each year. Two are very informal but one involves a large county park with a very big building. We have coffee n donuts in the morning and pizza with soda for lunch. Everyone is invited to enjoy it and we only ask for a donation. This ranges from nothing to a handful of change to some five dollar bills.....and we hope to break even.
The same people staff the front desk, run the 50/50 raffle, the auction, set up and tear down, the radio contest, the PA system, run for the chow, line up a presentation.... you get the idea.
If someone enjoys a cup a joe or a slice of pizza at our expense... so be it.  Who really cares in the end. We all had a good time.

73, Jim          www.sarsradio.com
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2016, 07:08:50 AM »

Conversely, I went to a field Day event and volunteered to help. I was NOT a member of their club but have been a ham for over 30 years and have plenty to offer. I was assigned to help with the setup of the shelters, tents, Ice, and various camping type tasks which all went well.

The event is held at a County Park and there is no concessions available.

I volunteered so I didn't mind helping and did some operating....But at lunch time I was not invited to partake...I was Hot, thirsty and hungry no joy.

I thought well maybe it was an oversight? Same thing during the cook out for dinner. 1 time OK.. 2 times I'm out.

Who knew? An experience I will not subject myself to again.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:28:33 AM by W5WSS » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »

Who knew?

So you're saying you didn't ask for a membership application on your way out???
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »

Ham clubs do better with a jar for donations than the Senior Center I used to lunch at. The suggested donation was $2.75 or so and I learned that on average the donation was $.58!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »

Ham clubs do better with a jar for donations than the Senior Center I used to lunch at. The suggested donation was $2.75 or so and I learned that on average the donation was $.58!
   But aren't a lot of seniors broke? 
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 03:41:51 PM »

Sounds like your club hasn't really grasped the point of Field Day.

Field Day is a prime public event for clubs.  The club does lots of stuff all year long, but Field Day is what it's all about.  Anybody and everybody is invited.  It's a time for making publicity, getting newbies on the air, celebrating, having a big old happy party time and showing the general public that hams are above all, fun-loving, and not the grumpy gray-haired serious wet blankets we're often thought of.  So, the more the merrier!

Every successful FD I've been do ditched the whole potluck idea.  Making every attending member "bring a dish" is challenging.  On average, hams can't cook and don't have any culinary creativity at all.

I've seen some clubs hire a caterer...caterers aren't only for expensive weddings.  For $7 a person, I've seen a caterer provide burger/hot dog meals with potato salad, green salad, baked beans and free-running soda pop.  Most caterers ask for an estimated headcount, then you pay more or less depending on actual headcount.

I've seen clubs designate a 'chef', who takes care of stuff.  I was that person one year.  I got enough burger meat for the club times 3, formed 1/4 pound patties two days prior, and kept them at 34 degrees...you don't want to freeze beef twice.  Up to the FD site, small fridge on a generator held at 34 degrees.  A couple hours before the cookout, out comes 1/3 of the patties, then an hour before cookout, the grill gets going.  If more show up - more patties come out.  Whatever's left over, I took home and froze.  Buns freeze even better than meat does.  For all veggie side dishes, I purchased canned items or other items that had months-long shelf lives.  Sure, not the freshest food, but all excess came home with me.  Most of the canned stuff I donated to the food bank - it became part of my annual donations.  The meat and buns, I offered to club members later at my cost, and used some for my own parties after.  Condiments like catsup and mustard are so cheap that it didn't phase me a bit to dispose of the extra.

Get in the spirit and embrace this part of FD as a major public service invitation, worthy of the price!  If you really want, you could put out a donation jar.

- k
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: