Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 8100R Problems  (Read 1019 times)
KB4AWY

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2000, 11:39:32 AM »

I have 8100R that has been plagued with problems and now has died. RF getting back in unit, recieve much to be desired, now no speaker audio, no RF out. Bad regulator? No RF out on 440 or 2M either band. That's why I suspect regulator. Before unit "died" keying mike would make display look like CPU reset. Everything on readout displayed. Resetting CPU to no avail. Transmitted for a little while before it died and it would stop transmitting and go off frequency. Would have to shut down unit and remove power and it would come back to life, like nothing happened. This one is a head scracher, I think. Rig definitely has problems, and ANY help appreciated..Rick
W8JJW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2000, 10:02:09 AM »

Could be a couple things..If you haven't already, run power
and ground directly from battery..many cars suffer from
poor grounds in accessory or lighter outlets. Easiest way is
to go to Autozone and buy some battery post adapters that let you bolt on wires without hacking the factory cables up.
Second ..have you checked the grounds of your antenna ..how's the SWR ? RF in the car could freak-out
the radio. I've had an 8100 for a couple months and so far so good..
KB4AWY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2000, 09:22:54 AM »

Hi everyone! Rick here, the originator of this listing. I sent the 8100 off to California for repair. I sent it on Sept. 14, 2000, got a telephone call it was fixed on the 22nd of September. After a couple of very truthful e-mails to Yaesu somehow they got my radio in for repair before the 6 week turnaround time that the told a friend of mine about his rig. Makes you wonder doesn't it? They knew exaclty what was wrong and they 'aint tellin'! They told me all they had to do was align the recieve and transmit. haha That is funny! There was no 13.8V getting to any of the 13.8V circuits. (Except for the cord inside the unit where it was soldered to the board.) I will keep everyone posted when the rig gets back as to what they really did to the rig to get it talking again. I did the alignment procedure before I sent it. THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM! THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR E-MAILS TO ME SHARING YOUR PROBLEMS AND IDEAS TO FIX THE UNIT. THANKS.......Rick
AA2T

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2000, 08:46:43 PM »

I had mine back for a regulator board replacement, then later the 2 meter transmitter side literally caught fire. It would suck about 10+ amps from the supply even with the power out on mid or low. Cost me enough to get the rig fixed as if I went out and bought another dual bander. Next time it goes out to lunch, will buy an Icom or something else.
Jerry AA2T
N0NPI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2001, 09:41:51 PM »

Yaesu has a fix that adds spring type grounding 'fingers' to ground the main PCB to the chasis of the unit.  They will do this for free as it is covered under a service bulletin.  That fixed the problem mine had with the CPU reset on transmit.  Now that they did that I had three more problems within a week.  No RX audio (bad speaker jack), intermittent no TX audio on 440 - only a humm, and low RF power on 440 (around 25W).

There is a also a service bulletin that covers the fix for the volume/squelch problem that plagues these rigs.

No more Yaesu rigs for me, the 8100 is a piece of junk.
WD0GSY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2001, 03:06:21 PM »

has your unit been modified for all band.  Mine had, initially worked good.  Certain frequencies, when running in the dual band mode, displaying vhf and uhf, I would notice, when transmitting on vhf, for the receive on the uhf to indicate a signal.  VHF goes clear out, starts transmitting around 178 mhz no matter what is dialed in.  Uhf works fine.  Seems after about 10 minutes of operations, the vhf goes off into never never land.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: