Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Kenwood TM-241a TX Modification  (Read 2716 times)
N0XUT

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2001, 05:18:06 PM »

I know I need to add a Diode (1N914) as D209, but I have no schematic to know where to place the diode on the controller board. Any help would be appreciated!!!

73's,
Dwayne
N0XUT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2001, 11:06:17 AM »

I actually located the mod for this myself...  Found it in a book I already had in my basement.!

There are 2 different radios.... a TM-241 and a TM-241a
I don't know what the difference is, but the mods are dramatically different.

For anyone else looking for a TM-241a mod, this is how to expand the TX/RX:

Remove top and bottom covers of the radio and remove knobs and nuts from mic jack and tuning control.
Remove 2 side screws that hold the front of the radio to the main body.
Gently pull the front panel off the main body to expose the control board.
Remove the 2 screws that hold the control board in place, and gently pull the controll board off.
Locate the green "loop wire" and simply cut it. This itself expands the recieve range.
To expand the TX, you need to remove the 3 transistors on the back of the control board, just below where the green loop is soldered. Since these are glued surface mounted transistors, I used a needle nosed pliers and broke them off (gently of course!). Make sure they are completely removed!

There shouldn't be any trouble locating the correct transistors... These are the only ones that are on the right-hand side of the control board, 3 in a row, under the loop wire that you snipped.

If you have a Kenwood TM-241a and would like help with this, just let me know!  My radio has been working fine!

73's!
N0XUT
Dwayne

Email: lightninghunter@juno.com
W8MMQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2001, 03:16:58 PM »

Correct, the mods for the 241 and the 241A are different.  For reference, here is a link to the mod for the TM-241:

http://w8mmq.com/mods/qrz/tm241.txt

73 de,
Dan, W8MMQ
email@w8mmq.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: