Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu G-800S Rotor - Needle moves when I tx on 2mt  (Read 726 times)
N1GMV

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2002, 04:18:54 AM »

Thanks for reading, I have a Yaesu G-800S rotor I purchased about 2 years ago. Athough it works fine on most bands even with a KW on HF, when I run 2 mtr SSB azimuth needle swings with my output. So much that with my 160 watt Tokyo high power amp the indicator will go up to 45 deg Clockwise as I transmit, again only on 2 mtrs.

I am using the el-cheapo radio shack flat rotor wire and have tried putting good sized ferrite chokes just before the rotor with no sucess in reducing this.

I was thinking on replacing the flat rotor wire with some Cat5 computer cable since it has the twists to it.

Someone mentioned that I may need to add a .1uf Cap at the rotor connector on the tower.

Any suggestions? Yaesu never responded to my querry via their website.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 10:35:47 AM »

Going to twisted pair, shielded wiring is always a good idea -- but CAT5 network cable is normally #24 gauge conductor size, not nearly enough to carry the current for your rotator.  I doubt the rotor would even start turning, unless your run of cable is extremely short.

I'd wrap several turns of the 5-conductor cable you already have through a mix #43 ferrite toroid core installed as close to the indicator unit as possible (preferably, within an inch of the terminals) and see if that helps.  It probably will.

WB2WIK/6
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 07:25:46 PM »

I don't recommend removing the ground from ANY equipment!  
    The addition of a ferrite core to the rotor cable near the indicator box is an excellent idea, and may work.  I'd also bypass the rotor lines to ground with approx. 0.01 uF disk capacitors.  I'm not sure what voltage your rotor uses, but I'd probably use 500 V. ceramic disks just to be safe.  Just remember to unplug the indicator before working on it!
Good Luck.
N7ZM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 10:43:00 PM »

I had the same problem with my G-1000SDX rotor. I called Yaesu and they gave me a fix which worked great. I went to a local hardware store and bought a 2 way to 3 way plug adapter. Plug this adapter into the wall 110 V recepable and then the rotor box into it. Being a 2 way to 3 way plug adapater, it eliminates the 3 prong plug from rotor and only plugs the 2 wires into 110V. You need to eliminate the ground spade from plugging into wall. This stopped a ground loop and took away my 2 meter Xmit from moving the rotor dial.
Hope you understand this. Try it it works.
73 Ron N7ZM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: