Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tax exempt status 501(c)(3) for local ARES group  (Read 3115 times)
W8DAG

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »

I am appying for tax exempt status 501(c)(3) for our local ARES group so we can accept tax exempt donations. Has anyone already done this and if so what advice do you offer? Are you a "Public Charity", "Private Foundation" or "Private Operating Foundation"? Are you "Incorporated" or an "Unicorporated Association? We do not have the funds to pay professionals.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 06:40:12 AM »

Whether you have the funds to pay professionals or not, you are going to need someone well versed in tax law for non-profits to at least advise you, if not actually file the necessary paperwork.

501(c)(3) status is not a rubber stamp arrangement nor a DIY project; you have to justify your need for the status and jump through quite a few hoops and it takes someone who knows what they are doing to do this.

Lon W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:56:41 AM »

Since the League is already a
501 (c) (3), I guess I don't
see the point and don't even
know if the IRS will let the
an organization have more than one TIN
and charitable status.

Have you talked with HQ about this?

73 de Ronnie
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:19:14 AM »

Check the link below my signature for a good site with some free line-by-line help on filling out the form . That site also offers a relatively cheap document that I haven't read , with more details . By all means check the ARRL website for the Volunteer Counsel in your area . He's not required to do it for free , but he can point you in the right direction , and chances are he'll make every effort to help .

Try to get your filing done before the end of June , as the IRS fee for filing goes WAY up ( from $150 to $300 for my club's currently pending application ) on the first of July this year .Your club needs a EIN from IRS  to file the 1023 , file a SS-4 for that . (Was there enough federal jargon in THAT sentence?)Good luck with your paperwork and future grant applications .

Russ , W5RB

http://www.form1023help.com/
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »

Well, my point is that ARES*
is a part of the ARRL Field
Services and so there is already
a 501 (c) (3) in place.

So I would check with HQ BEFORE
trying to get another TIN and
IRS 501 (c) (3).  I would expect
that your SM would also be able to
help you.

73 de Ronnie

*ARES is a registered Service Mark
of the American Radio Relay League, Inc
and is used with permission.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 12:59:54 PM »

Ronnie ,
          Evidently I posted about the same time you did , since I did not see your post before making mine . You raise a very good point .It'd be worth an opinion from HQ , certainly , for an ARES group .

If they ARE covered by the ARRL national charter , I'd be interested to know if there's an appropriate way for a local ARES club to apply for grants that may be available on a local basis .

Meanwhile, everybody pass the word . The price is about to double for most small local clubs to do this , so NOW is a good time to get it done , if you've been meaning to .

Russ, W5RB
K0AZV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 05:01:26 PM »

St. Louis County ARES actually created a seperate organization whose sole responsiblity is to be the 501(C) organization for donations. You might want to contact our EC and ask how it was all completely done.

www.stlares.org

Max...
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 05:22:20 AM »

I got our local club incorporated as a 501(c)3 a number of years ago. I just got a copy of the paperwork that another club in the state filed and used that as a guide. It didn't seem like a big deal but I understand that you need to use all the proper "buzzwords".
N5PZJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 06:21:01 PM »

I done this for a local ARES bunch in SouthEast Louisiana and it was very simple if the following caveats are followed:

1. Incorporate as a non profit under your state laws.  Since you did not say which State, you need to check withsomeone knowledgable on State Law.  Here in Louisiana, the forms for incorporation may be downloaded from the Secretary of State's Website!

2. Apply to the IRS for 510 (c) 3 status on form 1024, remember, it is slow process.  Read the instructions, it is not hard, just tedious.  

Check out
http://www.ares.org/fundraising
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/forms/ARES-Registered-Trademark.pdf/articles.htm
http://www.ares.org/fundraising/501.pdf
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 01:19:41 PM »

Berkeley County South Carolina ARES collects no dues and has no income or outgo, so things like a tax exemption don't really matter to us.

Link to our Field Day Page:

http://home.comcast.net/~dzabawa/FieldDay.htm

Dennis KG4RUL
N5PZJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:55:41 PM »

For the most part, you are right, if there is no equipment or money being handled, then INCORPORATION does not make sense but if the "group" owns equipment or has money in the bank, then you must have some method of accounting for the assets.  

In Louisiana, Unincorporated Associations can not own property or money!  This created some controversy in that a person can not recieve property from the State but a Non-Profit Corp duly registered can.  Each State and Situation is different.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: