Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-706MKIIG 60M Expanded TX Mod  (Read 4203 times)
AB0RE

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2003, 01:00:49 PM »

Hi.  I've been searching for the correct modification to open up the HF transmit range of my Icom 706MKIIG.

I've checked out qrz.com and mods.dk, but it seems there are several different explanations of the modification, probably because there are so many different versions of the 706.  The modification I am looking for is for the IC-706MKIIG American version.

Perhaps another ham can be of assistance here so I can enjoy the new 60 meter channels.
 - A couple places say removing diode D2030 does this trick.  Is this correct?  One post claimed it made the negative repeater offset stop working - is that true?
 - Another post said removing D116 & D118 was the correct mod.  Any truth to that?
 - Is there a modification available that will open up the 706MKIIG's HF TX range only while leaving the non-HF TX range the same?
 - Are there any adverse affects on the radio after performing the correct mod?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dan / ab0re
WA6TKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 06:51:31 PM »

Sorry, I don't have the answers you are looking for but I have the same questions and was about to post the same questions you asked.  If you get a good answer, please forward it to me at wa6tkx@arrl.org.  I would be very grateful.
Thanks and 73,
Dave
K0KL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 05:30:24 PM »

For what it's worth, I e-mailed ICOM and was told not to do it.
The new band is outside the filter range and that I could overheat the radio.
However, if I chose to make a mod use lower than full power.
(Not joking, it was new speak all right)

\In any event "Good Luck we're all counting on you

ed K0KL
K0KL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 05:30:24 PM »

For what it's worth, I e-mailed ICOM and was told not to do it.
The new band is outside the filter range and that I could overheat the radio.
However, if I chose to make a mod use lower than full power.
(Not joking, it was new speak all right)

\In any event "Good Luck we're all counting on you

ed K0KL
W4TME

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 05:03:24 PM »

I too contacted Icom to ask about the 706MKIIg and the 756 Pro II regarding the 60m modification.  After several phone calls (at my expense) and e-mails their "official" statement is that there isn't a corporate position on the 60m mods for ANY radio... at this time.  When asked about a timeframe for establishing a corporate position, I received more BS.  When asked about the mods on the Internet for each radio separately, I got *exactly* the same answer; almost verbatim from 5 different support and service folks, which was it will result in too much internal heat being generated and don’t do it.  

What is most disturbing is that they have been working on the 60m allocation for more than 5 years and Icom still doesn’t have an “official” position on this matter.  We spend a lot of $$$ on these radios for them not to have put any effort into the matter other than instructing their support folks to regurgitate the same lame excuses.  At lease SGC and Ten Tec have rigs that are software configurable and don’t require hardware mods.  Thank goodness that the 40m realignment will not require Icom to do anything to actively support the band change.

73s de W4TME
-Tim
K7NNV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 04:44:53 PM »

I have an Icom 706Mk11G which was modified by HRO for expanded tx/rx over two years ago for use on the Navy MARS freqs which include 5mhz. The radio has performed just great with no problems. The removal of Diode 2030 is fairly easy using an exacto type knife. If you are in doubt of the location of the diode, e-mail me at k7nnv@arrl.net and I will send you a picture of the diode to remove.
AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 11:21:06 PM »

A piece of tape on that single diode is a good idea if you ever want to reinstall it again. You can find it a lot easier with a handle on it.

-Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: