Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Valley Questions  (Read 2316 times)
KI6AKP

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:29:45 PM »

I didn't know where to post this question so if there is somewhere better to post this please point me in the right direction...

I'll be visiting Death Valley and Panamint Valley in November for some remote off roading.  I'm looking for a list of repeaters that cover the area and which ones will be monitored on a regular basis incase we get into trouble.  I've been looking around the internet and I can't find much.

Thanks, Jason
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 12:15:13 PM »

The Edison Amateur Radio Network (EARN) has a number of 222 MHz repeaters that cover this area. This is a linked system which “talks” also to radio mountaintops in Orange, LA, and some parts of San Bernardino counties.
K6ALF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 11:03:16 PM »

I dont recall there being any coverage in DV..
Most folks go simplex.

Check some of the chat boards and forums for Deathvalley.

http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml

http://www.death-valley.us/

TonyF

W6WUH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 11:53:11 AM »

First.. the internet is NOT the repository of all knowledge.  Get an ARRL repeater handbook...which lists almost all repeaters in the U.S. with PL and locations.

Since the ARRL in thier infinite wisdom, sells information... you're gonna have to pay for it.

Second, The problem is that death valley is 600 ft Below Sea Level.  However there are high mountain top sites all over the Mojave desert.

Some surrounding communities are Parumph Nevada,
Trona California, and Ridgecrest Ca.  Check those first.

When you drive towards Death Valley... make contact with hams in the area.. and ask them what repeaters will give you coverage.

Check your topo maps - without which you shouldnt be off roading anyway - for the names of some peaks with-in 100 miles.. that are line of sight to Death Valley and Panamint Valley.  

Some of the repeaters are listed in ARRL repeater handbook as Such and Such Peak.

Check Inyo-Kern , Kern County, and Riverside County.
Also Check Nevada.

As previously stated.. Simplex with some elevation can do a lot for you... as can transmitting on the output of a repeater you cant reach .

As to monitoring or activity... this is the desert.. and there arent a lot of people out there.. even if a machine is functioning.

HF and even 11 meters can be useful in these situations.

have fun it's neat country.
Larry
N7USR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »

Jason, if you're heading up for the Panamint Valley days check in with the organizers when you arrive on site. They set up a simplex frequency at base camp that they use to maintain contact with the run leaders. They also set up a link to Keller Peak (I think) in the San Bernardino mountains so they can get into the L.A. Basin if they need to. At least they used to do that.

I was out there a few years ago and found that there were also clubs in the Ridgecrest area that can help you with repeater info out there.

Have fun.

73's de N7USR

Greg
NL7SX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:50:54 PM »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SDVAmateurRadioGroup/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: