Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club Corporation  (Read 774 times)
K7AAB

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »

What is it with club not for profit corporation?  I was notified that children were no longer welcome at club meetings as it was a distraction of club business. The club stated they were corporated and there were state and soon to be Federal rules to follow. They also asked me if " would you take your children to work with you?" as some kind of relation to their cause. I wouldn't want a hobby I considered going to work to be honest. All the other clubs I was involved in had no problems with the whole family being involved as they saw all participants as a future ham and club member by having them involved. If there are rules that call for the exclusion of children and non members what does that mean for the future of the hobby? My 8 yr old is going to start on his license as he remembers all the fun he had while younger and going to our meetings. I was talking with my wife and he asked what was going on, I told him our new club doesn't allow children at it's meetings. Tell me how that went over.
 We moved from the west coast to the midwest, we are looking for friendlier clubs in the area.
I really do feel it's a case of intolerance towards children.
 This is an ARRL affiliated club as well, are they not supposed to remain "open" for this status?
KE5UVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »

Being a club they have all rights to deny access to anyone for any reason. I see no problem with them denying someone to join a club for whatever reason.

However, any club that acts so closed would NOT be a club I would associate. If I was a member of that club and saw the presidents/leaders say something like this to someone, I would quickly find another club to go to.

You should take their advice and not bring your children, and go the whole nine yards and stop going yourself.

Which club is this by the way? Perhaps you can share so other clubs in your area can STAY clear.
KE7TIV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »

Churchs are not for profit organizations and are incorporated.  Last I heard children were allowed in church.  The incorporated organization does have the right to exclude or include whomever it wishes in most cases, not all.  Example service clubs, Lions, etc. are not allowed to be male only.  

At any rate, with an attitude like that the club won't last long.  One thing you could do is run for president of the club and make sure the by laws are inclusive.  For that matter you may want to read the by laws and see if those comments are in violation of said by laws.
W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »

I am the president of our local club, (E.N.M.A.R.C.).            we are an incorporated club, and there is nothing in the incorporating rules about no children. I believe that you ran into a bunch of old cronies that do not want children around. I would not associate with them, and would report them to the ARRL in a heart beat. That is discrimination  in my book. Amateur radio should be open to all. If you want, email me and we will talk.  73  gd luck  de W5ROY  Roy Creiglow  5 children  13 grandchildren, and 3 great grand children, and proud of them all!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: