Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not more women in ham radio?  (Read 255649 times)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2011, 07:24:50 AM »

FUN is contagious. If someone sees you enjoying yourself, then they too want to be involved too or at least watch you.

Excellent point.

Had a nice chat at Dayton with a lady who was standing in a long line at Dayton (the Badge Man's LONG line...ugh).  Classy person, bright and friendly.  Her husband was a great guy, too. She was an Extra Class, so I became interested in knowing what drew her to the hobby, since nothing seems to work with my wife.   She explained that she most enjoys the community of it all.  She'd see friends pass by as we waited, and it was clear that she really enjoyed interacting with other hams and their wives, and especially if the wives were also amateurs.

Anyway, I've seen it before, and hopefully this isn't an overly broad conclusion.....I think women are most attracted to those aspects of the hobby that involve something social.....setting up and/or attending events, setting up testing sessions, club meetings, etc.  True, their numbers are few, but those who enjoy ham radio seem to be social creatures.  Not bad considering that so many male hams are pretty awkward and introverted.   

Like Jimmy Buffet says....Girls Rule!

K4SRG

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:33 AM »

I am a woman in Ham radio. I love listening to the DXing going on when my husband is doing his thing on the bands that he is able to access. I am still only a technician class because I am in school for my masters degree and haven't had time to study for my general class so that I have all the bands that give me access to all the ones that he is getting the DX stations on. I find it very interesting.As soon as I am done though I will be studying to get my general class so that I can gain access to these bands too.

I really think that if more women knew more about it, then they would like it too. The excitement of talking to people in other far away places is what has drawn me to the radios.

We have a 2 yr old daughter who we have already given a radio that does not work anymore so that she can learn now to talk on the radio. She gets up every morning and points to the radios and makes sure that daddy turns them all on. She already knows the call CQ.

73's
Sherry KJ4GQK
K2WLO

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

My wife isn't comfortable letting someone finish a sentence before she gets to speak again.

Thanks for the laugh!! Still choking on my coffee.....
K3NPO

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »

Anyway, I've seen it before, and hopefully this isn't an overly broad conclusion.....I think women are most attracted to those aspects of the hobby that involve something social.....setting up and/or attending events, setting up testing sessions, club meetings, etc.  True, their numbers are few, but those who enjoy ham radio seem to be social creatures.  Not bad considering that so many male hams are pretty awkward and introverted.   

Like Jimmy Buffet says....Girls Rule!

I got my license originally because my husband encouraged me to do so for us to use our radios together when skiing... but then I was fascinated by the communities and other usage, I especially love listening into the local repeater around here. I'm up to my extra, decided to go all the way not necessarily because I needed all the access, but because once I started w/ the tests I just couldn't stop reading and studying so figured why not.

Cat, K3NPO
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »

I actually don't miss them. This is one of the Last male dominated activities around.
KB1UJS

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »

My wife is a technician class ham.  She got her license while helping my then-8 year old son though a technician license class.  He didn't end up passing, but he's interested in trying again now that he's almost 11.  But I digress.

My wife isn't an extremely active ham, but she's probably more active than a lot of license holders.  She checks into our club's weekly net about once a month, and has actually served as net control several times.  The big draw of ham radio to her is the public service aspect.  Our club provides communications for several community events every year, and she loves both performing the public service and the social aspect of a group of hams getting together.  She is interested in HF as well, but the General class test intimidates her a little.  She is more than capable of passing the test with some minor effort in studying, but with four kids in the house that are taught at home she doesn't have the time right now.  She has shown some interest in trying out her privileges on 10 meters, but conditions haven't really provided a good opportunity.  I think it's time to get out the General manual again and get her thinking about upgrading this spring.

I feel that our local radio club has been instrumental in helping my wife get into ham radio.  We have several female club members, two of which hold leadership positions in the club.  When my wife had some suggestions for activities to improve our hamfest, they were listened to and actively supported by the club.  If my local radio club was made up of a bunch of stinky curmudgeons like some I hear described here and elsewhere, I wouldn't be hanging around either.  I am blessed to have a diverse group of folks with interests all over the ham radio spectrum in my club.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 09:37:17 PM »

Men are constantly about women for staying fit and trim and "looking good".  Take one look at a ham club meeting and most women will realize this is NOT the direction that men have been asking THEM to go.
AARP Journal mentioned this - after age 50, most women get more physically active.
To date, in my experience in ham radio, more women are found in the physically active parts of the hobby

Might that have something to do with the fact that men are more prone to back and joint issues?  Perhaps this, in turn, is due to the hard physical work that many men have done during their working lives while the women in their lives lounged around the home or, at most, sat at a desk at the office.

Speaking for myself, I was an active water ski racer well into my '40s and now I am paying the price for that.  Numerous degenerating disks in my lower back AND neck.  Not the kind of thing that makes you want to run around the block two or three times after work.  In my case, I have only myself to blame for my issues but, for many men, that kind of injury was the result of their work.  Perhaps the ladies would prefer to be the breadwinner so their husbands could stay healthy in their later years???
Tom
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 10:43:59 PM »

With such chauvinistic remarks, maybe that's the real reason there aren't more women hams, although there ARE hundreds of thousands of women engineers, scientists, doctors/surgeons who can challenge your insipid remarks.  Maybe you'd better take your headphones off, dig your head out from your shack, and look around at the world as it is today.

WOW!  I read Tom's post as an attempt at humor, and a pretty good one at that!  I know I got a chuckle out of it and I'm sure a lot of others, women included, did as well.
If there is truly a group that is "turned off" by ham radio, perhaps its the dead-pan, sober faced crowd that takes themselves far too seriously that is responsible for it.  Everyone, women included, is attracted to people who have a good sense of humor and that, sadly, seems to be in short supply among the ham radio crowd.
Tom
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »

My XYL is a ham and she doesnt get on the air because of the general atitudes that most hams have towards newer hams and female hams. She thinks ham radio is a joke.
Depends on the area...in my area, all newer hams are older, retired or close...Ive been licensed since age 14 (and a member of QCWA for some time)....and the new hams have no respect for those before them (but they were on CB/freeband...they KNOW radio right???...yeah, Ive been "playing" with 50KW AM and 35KW FM transmitters for years in broadcasting...and numerous rptrs, working through the sats and talking to the shuttle, etc...but I dont know anything in their eyes....I welcome a woman who learns her ticket and KNOWS the info...however, I also know a number of YLs and XYLs (as well as OMs too) that just memorized the test and dont know squat (some of them DO want to learn but when they ask questions, the power hogs dont want to answer...a local club president once said "this bunch just doesnt need to know technical stuff" but HE is afraid of losing his power and they keep reelecting him.....need I say more?)
This service/hobby needs YOUNG blood...the teen and 20something age range....An ex girlfriend of mine just graduated with her Civil Engineering degree at age 34...I dont think she is interested in radio though...she is more into building bridges, etc for the railroads..and I am happy for her...but ham radio clubs (at least the ones I know) have snubbed the younger generation...we were there once and a lot of us got our tickets but then forgot you need to keep the process going....or you end up stagnant and not moving...Most of the new hams I know only care about emergency operations and spend their time checking into nets and acting important as if they are in control...but when the real thing happens, they are no where to be found (Hurricanes Rita and Ike were good examples in my area..I had to work through them...but none of the "important" hams were to be found)..What happened to having FUN and enjoying the hobby and RESPECTING those who came before? I grew up reading about the old homebrew gear on 6 and other bands and the history of this hobby...Love the legacy gear (first station was a NC300 and T60)....and also the new stuff..but the newer hams have no appreciation for those who made this hobby great....and that includes those WELL before my time...When my elmer passed away, there were only 4 of us at his funeral who were licensed hams..though he helped well over a hundred or more get their ticket and was club president/trustee for many years and one of the nicest persons you could have met...I felt a little bitter that those he helped didnt show their last respects for him at his funeral...Yet, if one of the new "CBhams" passed away, I bet the place would be packed.....
KB3YJO

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »

listening to some of the idiots on 80meters AM its no wonder females dont want to get involved.they dont like that kind of x-rated talk.my xyl stepped in as i was listening and she said what the hell are you listening to?
if we all act civil and polite,we will get more females.40 meters seems to be a more civil band.IMO.
i love all bands and freqs.just adding my 2 cents.there really is no room for gutter talk if you ask me,but some hams think they are howard stern.oh well.
if we want more folks we must lead by example.
73,KB3YJO
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »

Might that have something to do with the fact that men are more prone to back and joint issues?  Perhaps this, in turn, is due to the hard physical work that many men have done during their working lives while the women in their lives lounged around the home or, at most, sat at a desk at the office....

Could well be that that is one of the contributing reasons that women live longer lives too.  But I digress. 

To actually keep a home fairly clean and looking good takes a lot of work.  If a man has a wife who he thinks stays home lounging around the house, but has a clean home and his supper on the table without him having to do much around the house besides repairs and really heavy work, he has a wife who DOES work at home just as much as he works at his job.  And he is even more of an unseeing lout if his wife also has a job outside the home--even if it is part time--and he STILL has that clean home and his supper made!

To keep house IS a full-time job, and any man who has had to do so while his wife worked as the family breadwinner realizes that.  Any man who has those things and doesn't, certainly does deserve it if his wife regularly gives him an earful about HIS failings!
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »

For those who are still following this post: a while back, based on this discussion, I purchased a copy of Kristen Haring's dissertation "Ham Radio's Technical Culture".

Good read for us older guys who remember the Cold War, the 60's, Heathkits, etc.  I'm putting it up for auction on Ebay, if anyone's interested.

Bill in Pasadena
dit-dit
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »

<<The calibre of men in the hobby has something to do with it.>>

This.
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »

"Why aren't more women in Ham Radio?" was the original question.

Perhaps more easily, I could answer, why am *I* interested in Ham Radio.

I've been in love with radio since I was a kid, when I'd stay up to the wee hours listening to the radio, carefully rotating the dial and keeping track of which AM radio stations I could reach and which station was the furthest away (and doing all this surreptitiously so that Mother and Father didn't discover me staying up way past bedtime).

The very idea that we live and move and have our being in the midst of a plethora of silent, tasteless, invisible radio waves, and that with the right equipment we can TUNE into those radio waves is just so very cool.

And now, as a 53-year-old female, the kids are grown and gone, and I work from home at a small business and I have a little spare time on my hands, and I finally can invest a little time and money in this most magical of worlds - radio.

I've been in loved with radio for 40 years and Ham Radio is just so much fun on so many levels. As I tell my women friends who are often flummoxed by this "hobby" of mine, "some people do crossword puzzles, some do sudoku and some people enjoy memory games. I play with ham radio."

As to some of the unfortunate stereotypes proffered above, women come in all shapes, sizes and TYPES.

We're a diverse bunch. I was the first girl in my community to take Auto Tech. (Best class I ever did take.)  I do not understand the appeal of "Scrapbooking," and I'm highly allergic to shopping malls, clothing stores and fancy shoes.

And I thoroughly enjoy Ham Radio.

An interesting aside, after I get my general license, my husband went ahead and studied for his technician's license. In other words, I got into this first and he followed. How often do you hear of *that* happening?  Smiley

Rosemary Thornton
KK4APV

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:46:19 PM by KK4APV » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »

Once the original question is sufficiently resolved the Corollary must be addressed:

"Why aren't there more men involved in quilting, and what are you doing about it?"

Smiley

At a certain point, it really doesnt' matter if few woman care for ham radio.  Feminism has pushed the idea for the last fifty years that men and women are interchangeable and identical.  Therefore we men are chauvinist and must apologize for any differences in behavior, interests, or employment. 

Poppycock.   Viva la difference!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:58:20 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: