Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRl affiliation?? 503b??  (Read 3815 times)
KD8BUN

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »

I am in need of some constructive input from those with experience. We are a small club with most involved in ARES and Skywarn.
First I am wondering if there is a fee for the ARRL club affiliation? There is none mentioned in the materials. What are the advantages to a small club needing membership and trying to boost activities?

Second is on 503b? What are the advantages to this? Disadvantages?
We have some strong opinions in the club and I am new looking for more information.
Thank you so much.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/#affiliation

IRS 501(c)3 non-profit corporation status gives you the ability to accept donations and have them be tax deductible.  Most states also have a matching corporate status.
KB9RQZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »

btw 510 c3 is by fcc rule the only type allowed for an ham club to be incorpaerated
KA7O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:40:04 PM »

Interesting - as the FCC has no jurisdiction over clubs, beyond issuing a club call sign - even that's done through the ARRL VEC, not direct with the FCC.

Incorporation is a State deal. If the club has any property or assets, worth exploring. Can also make liability insurance less of a challenge.

501(c)3 status is obtained through an application process with the IRS and is separate from incorporation - even if as a 'non-profit' group. Mostly it allows for accepting donations, and the donor being able to write that donation off their income taxes. If your club's annual income is below a certain level - also makes annual tax filings for the club a bit easier if you file via 'e-postcard'.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:16:19 AM »

<< btw 510 c3 is by fcc rule the only type allowed for an ham club to be incorpaerated >>

There's no such FCC regulation or rule. As the previous poster has said, incorporation is strictly a state matter and tax exempt status is an IRS issue. The FCC has no say so in either issue.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:57:55 AM »

There is no fee for club affiliation.  I'm a former Affiliated Club Coordinator, and can say with certainty that the only monies you need to expend is the copying fees for the paperwork if you don't want to make three hand written copies, and the postage fees you will need to come up with to send the hard copies to Newington.  You can't use e-mail.  There are no other costs--the ARRL will even send you your certificate and materials for your club on their dime.

There are a couple of qualifications your club has to meet--over half of your membership has to hold membership in the ARRL, and you have to meet certain requirements in your public relations.  Those are spelled out in the paperwork you've already seen.

I've got an ARRL e-mail forwarding address if you want to contact me directly--I'll help you if I can.

KD0FQX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »

So, what's the benefit of an ARRL association for your club?
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:05:52 AM »

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/#affiliation

Here's some info , including some of the benefits.
In our case , when we decided to seek 501(c)3 status for our long-affiliated club , the Volunteer Counsel for our area did the necessary legal work , and never asked for a nickel. That's not necessarily going to apply in every case , but it was a big help to us.

The available insurance is also a plus for a lot of clubs.

Russ, W5RB
W4MLO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »

Hello,
I am on the board of a very small (21 paid members)ARRL affiliated club. While I am not necessaraly in lockstep with the ARRL on many levels, I think that affiliation is worthwile. That being said...

Some of the benefits other than those already mentiond are:

It gives your club LEGITIMACY.

When you are contacting local, state, and federal authorites for anything from SKYWARN to ARES to RACES it will open doors that would not otherwise open so easily.

When working with organizations like the American Diabaties Association, The Salvation Army, the American Red Cross etc., you will find that you will be given a higher level of respect.

Listing on the ARRL website and in QST for those seeking a local club to join.

Listing on the ARRL website and in QST for our special events.

The right to use the ARRL name and logo's on our website and literature.

The free legal advice.

The attention our correspondance to the OO's and repeater co-ordinater's recieves.

I was a big proponant of our club becoming affiliated...it did not cost the club anything but the cost of a few copies and a little postage.

In my not so humble opinion, ARRL affiliation is well worth it.

As far as the non-profit status, it is a no-brainer. The legal protection alone is worth the hassle. While I am not a lawyer, what if someone trips at a club meeting or function ... ... ... ... ... nuff said.

Good luck and 73's
Milo W4MLO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: