Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Club  (Read 1407 times)
K0IZ

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:57:26 AM »

Since there have been posts from time to time about ham clubs, I want to pass along some good experiences.

Several years ago I rejoined the Johnson County (Kansas) Radio Amateur Club (WØERH), of which I had been a member as a teenager.

A number of clubs in the Kansas City area have disappeared over the years.  Others have shrunk in membership.  JCRAC is now the biggest in the area, and has grown about 25% in the last couple of years.

Our meetings are twice a month, with a SHORT business/reports meeting (about 20-25 minutes), followed by a program, which are usually quite interesting.  fterwards an "Annex" meeting at a local pizza place.

Our VP last year was 14 yrs old, and has since been named ARRL Youth Coordinator.  This year's VP is 11.  We have a number of members below age of 18.  One of the club members was just selected by ARRL as Educator of the Year.  He and some helpers have been conducting Tech classes the last several years.  Over 300 new hams in the area as a result !!!   The club is now running General classes.

Members (including myself) have published a substantial number of articles in QST and QEX.

Field day involves some 50-60 members coming and going.  Annual auction, campout, and balloon watch in October.  Hidden 2m transmitter hunts.  Weekly 2M net, 10M SSB net, 10M CW net, 6M net.  2M and 440 repeaters.  Support of local community activities such as 5K runs, etc.  Skywarn.  Good programs, some outgoing members to welcome newcomers, lots of new hams.
KC9GMX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 09:06:26 PM »

Sounds like a club that could really inspire other hams.
I like to hear about ham clubs that treat all its members as equals, regardless of age.
Our small club here in Southern IL hopes to grow to that point.
www.whereradio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: