Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twitter Anyone?  (Read 16165 times)
WA3ZRM

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »

Our radio club just established a twitter page. The address is: http://twitter.com/w3sgj
We are looking for both hams to follow as well as anyone interested in following us.

Anyone interested should visit our twitter page listed above or visit our blog located at http://www.w3sgj.org/blog
KE7AAS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »

No thanks  I am not a twit
KD4IIW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »

You can follow KD4IIW on twitter.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »

what ever happened to using radio to keep in contact? LOL!!  Grin

I would suppose that soon one will not need a radio but will have to have a smartphone with echostink on it.
Look ma!! NO radio!!!
 Grin Wink
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 05:34:57 AM »

Who needs twitter or facebook when you have a hobby like ham radio?  Even though those 'new' ways of keeping in touch are catching on with all too many, I would be extremely surprised to find many serious hams on them.
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:32:12 AM »

Who needs twitter or facebook when you have a hobby like ham radio?  Even though those 'new' ways of keeping in touch are catching on with all too many, I would be extremely surprised to find many serious hams on them.

Just go to Twitter and do a search for #DX then see if you feel the same. Twitter is fast becoming a DX Cluster site. And with smartphones it is moble. You take your DX cluster with you wherever you operate from. Our club the Hoosier Hills Ham Club (http://www.w9qyq.org) has a website, Twitter feed, YouTube account, and Facebook page. You need to cast a large net to catch the diverging amateur radio community now.

Just Sayin'

73 de KB9TMP
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:26:58 AM »

I can see where social sites like twitter and facebook have become the way to get to everyone--even the ham radio operators.  My take on them is that the more they're advanced as the go to sites for just about everything, the more is taken away from ham radio itself.  There are many other ways that information can be passed between interested ham operators, including nets and club websites.

Maybe it hasn't become apparant yet, but where would ham radio be if everyone just went to twitter or facebook when they wanted to communicate with each other?  If we want to keep our frequencies and keep the hobby from its eventual decline, we've got to use its resources.  The more we depend on other resources, the less the hobby is going to have to offer.

And like you, I'm just saying--but it IS food for thought.  73!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

Radiating RF, anyone?
G1YGJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:51:58 AM »

The modern World has caught up with amateur radio.
Long live Twitter and Facebook, as well as amateur radio of course!
Just heard a Ukrainian station give a signal report while working through the Echolink internet system! haha!
@grumpy_oldmann
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »

I must not be a serious ham, I guess, hi!  I have a Twitter widget on my blog I use for announcing my on-air activity, and a separate Twitter account for use during QSOs. Just another knob to turn .... Cheesy

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »

Maybe it hasn't become apparant yet, but where would ham radio be if everyone just went to twitter or facebook when they wanted to communicate with each other?

Probably just fine.

I don't see FB as a replacement for ham radio at all. Just like I don't see my phone and HF rig as being anywhere near in competition with each other Smiley

Never got into the Twitter thing, though. I guess forums like this are my substitute.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 07:24:30 AM »

I must not be a serious ham, I guess, hi!  I have a Twitter widget on my blog I use for announcing my on-air activity, and a separate Twitter account for use during QSOs. Just another knob to turn .... Cheesy

I will admit that there is some information to be gained from such on-line sites and accounts, and I don't want it to seem like I'm taking a potshot at anyone who uses them!  However, it seems that setting up skeds on the internet kind of takes away from some of the fun in ham radio--for one thing, hunting for a QSO--maybe just as much as it adds to it by setting one up.

I guess its about how much you're willing to mix the two, and since I posted on this thread the last time, I've set up a facebook account.  I now see how it may be able to provide enjoyment to any hobby including ham radio.

I apologise and admit that I may well have been wrong.  73!
KD5PCK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:08:46 AM »

What exactly is a "serious ham"? I would like to know the definition of that term before I respond with my argument. Thanks.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »

Maybe it hasn't become apparant yet, but where would ham radio be if everyone just went to twitter or facebook when they wanted to communicate with each other?

Probably just fine.

I don't see FB as a replacement for ham radio at all. Just like I don't see my phone and HF rig as being anywhere near in competition with each other Smiley

Never got into the Twitter thing, though. I guess forums like this are my substitute.

To a REAL ham op, 'FB' stands for 'Fine Business' which used to equate to 'Good' or 'Yes, I agree' or similar when using CW.

I not a twit, I don't tweet, stay out of my face, only echo I want is off the moon, if it buzzes I try to fix it, jingling is for Santa's ride or beep is what my foreign car horn does. I work voice on SSB, AM and FM, send and receive CW, RTTY, JT65 and many other AMATEUR RADIO modes.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: